Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Power door locks on 1996 Ford Van

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Default Power door locks on 1996 Ford Van

Hi,
Planning on getting my power door locks working again,
had a huge short on the right front door, the switch was melted so i clipped the wires that appeared to be the hottest about an inch from the switch,
anyways, it's no longed draining the battery, BUT, since i clipped these wires NONE of the power locks work, so i'm wondering, does this circuit have to be complete or is there a problem somewhere else? before i clipped them they kind of worked, but seemed like they had a power issue or something, sounded very weak, but now they don't do anything at all, i have the wiring diagram for the switches from https://www.alldatadiy.com/ but i don't see any way to diagnose the system,

Old 06-15-2012, 09:56 AM

Could you post the part of the power door lock wiring diagram here and I will try to assist you if I can?
Usually the circuit has to be complete in order for them to operate.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Hi, thanks for your help, i sent you a private message

Originally Posted by hanky
Could you post the part of the power door lock wiring diagram here and I will try to assist you if I can?
Usually the circuit has to be complete in order for them to operate.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 PM

Could not get in with the info provided. Suggest you get some assistance on posting the section of the diagram needed.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:11 PM

ok, here are a few diagrams i found, let me know if you need anything else,

Attached Thumbnails Power door locks on 1996 Ford Van-lh-door-lock-switch.jpg   Power door locks on 1996 Ford Van-rh-power-door-locks.jpg   Power door locks on 1996 Ford Van-power-door-control-module.jpg  
Old 06-16-2012, 04:01 AM

These are only the pin connections. Need the actual wiring diagram.
If the switch is melted, why not replace it and reconnect the wiring and see what you get?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:44 AM

sorry, here is the diagram,
i figured it's not my problem, so i wanted to fix the others then once they work i would buy a used passenger side switch,

Attached Thumbnails Power door locks on 1996 Ford Van-power-locks-diagram.jpg   Power door locks on 1996 Ford Van-power-locks-number-2.jpg  
Old 06-16-2012, 08:52 AM

i see they are very low quality, does this site compress them? the originals are nice and clear

Old 06-16-2012, 10:20 AM

The wiring and switch set-up is like a three way upstairs and downstairs hall light .
If you take one of the switches out of the circuit the circuit is now open and cannot work. Soooo, put the replacement switch in and you should be OK.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:32 AM

wow, thats interesting, i found a used switch on ebay, will let you know how it works once it shows up, thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by hanky
The wiring and switch set-up is like a three way upstairs and downstairs hall light .
If you take one of the switches out of the circuit the circuit is now open and cannot work. Soooo, put the replacement switch in and you should be OK.

Quick Reply: Power door locks on 1996 Ford Van