Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 12:54 PM
Default problems

I'm a nobe so be nice. I have 1990 van and it will crank over and the lights inside and out work as well as horn, But I have no power to fuel pump,radio or gauges. I put in new fuel pumps but it has sit in storage for a while. What could be the problem? Also what all dose the computer control? Thanks joey!

Old 10-17-2015, 02:26 PM

Hi Joey 7478 !
This is the place where if we can we will try to help.
Did you check ALL the fuses in the fuse panel? Don't go by just looking at them, you need to make sure current can and is flowing through them. Sometimes slight corrosion can get between the contacts and look OK and yet not allow current to pass. The easiest way to do this is with a test light. With the clip connected to a good ground connection , both sides of the fuse should cause the lite to lite. Some of the fuses will require the ignition switch to be turned on.
If the ignition switch located on the lower part of the steering column is not making good contact in the on position some things will not work.
Make sure the inertia switch located behind the passenger kick panel is not tripped.
When you turn the key on that should activate the EEC relay that provides power to the computer. It should be located under the hood on the passenger side against the firewall. Next to it should be the fuel pump relay. They are both the same part #.
The computer will provide the ground for the fuel relay to operate for 1-2 seconds when the key is first turned on. After that the computer must get an RPM signal from the engine to keep the relay energized.That is to protect the vehicle in the event of a mishap and prevent fuel from being pumped out.Without getting into a further lengthy (windy) presentation I'll stop here and wait to hear if you found anything from the suggestions offered.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Hi Joey 7478 !
This is the place where if we can we will try to help.
Did you check ALL the fuses in the fuse panel? Don't go by just looking at them, you need to make sure current can and is flowing through them. Sometimes slight corrosion can get between the contacts and look OK and yet not allow current to pass. The easiest way to do this is with a test light. With the clip connected to a good ground connection , both sides of the fuse should cause the lite to lite. Some of the fuses will require the ignition switch to be turned on.
If the ignition switch located on the lower part of the steering column is not making good contact in the on position some things will not work.
Make sure the inertia switch located behind the passenger kick panel is not tripped.
When you turn the key on that should activate the EEC relay that provides power to the computer. It should be located under the hood on the passenger side against the firewall. Next to it should be the fuel pump relay. They are both the same part #.
The computer will provide the ground for the fuel relay to operate for 1-2 seconds when the key is first turned on. After that the computer must get an RPM signal from the engine to keep the relay energized.That is to protect the vehicle in the event of a mishap and prevent fuel from being pumped out.Without getting into a further lengthy (windy) presentation I'll stop here and wait to hear if you found anything from the suggestions offered.
This will give some things to check out. Thanks joey!

Old 10-18-2015, 10:49 AM
Default 1990 E-150 5.8L Instrument Cluster

My Oil Pressure, Coolant Temp. Gauges do not work. IVR was replaced. Fuel gauge works fine for both tanks. Pin # 14 of cluster wiring harness has a wire coming out and attached to steering support under the dash. The wiring diagram does not reflect this. Appears at one point in time it was spliced with additional wire to extend it to the ground at the steering column support.
Appears all grounds travel through the wiring harness to eventually ground at other locations. Anyone have any idea of why this ground is at Pin# 14? Am I missing something?