Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Rear AC delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 08:20 PM
Default Rear AC delete

I am trying to remove the rear AC setup on my 2008 4.6 E-Series. There seems to be "blockoff kits" but I've been warned that having dead-ends in the AC system leads to oil accumulation that starves the rest of the system. I thought I would just have to replace the two hoses that went to the rear unit with the hoses that came off a van without rear AC. Looking at Rockauto, the Liquid Line (Condenser to Evaporator) seems easy enough to change over, but I am not sure which other line I need to replace. I can't seem to find an AC line diagram for the van either. I assume the hose I need is the Suction Line (Evaporator to Compressor), but Rockauto has a bunch of different hoses listed under that category, some single hoses and some with tees and manifolds. They also list a different part for the Accumulator/Drier depending on whether you have rear AC or not.

Does anybody know which parts you need to swap out to add/delete the rear AC unit on this van? Even if I just had a hose diagram I could probably figure it out.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by firebat45
I am trying to remove the rear AC setup on my 2008 4.6 E-Series. There seems to be "blockoff kits" but I've been warned that having dead-ends in the AC system leads to oil accumulation that starves the rest of the system. I thought I would just have to replace the two hoses that went to the rear unit with the hoses that came off a van without rear AC. Looking at Rockauto, the Liquid Line (Condenser to Evaporator) seems easy enough to change over, but I am not sure which other line I need to replace. I can't seem to find an AC line diagram for the van either. I assume the hose I need is the Suction Line (Evaporator to Compressor), but Rockauto has a bunch of different hoses listed under that category, some single hoses and some with tees and manifolds. They also list a different part for the Accumulator/Drier depending on whether you have rear AC or not.

Does anybody know which parts you need to swap out to add/delete the rear AC unit on this van? Even if I just had a hose diagram I could probably figure it out.

I don't know but I must say that the rear HVAC is an expensive option that is a real luxury to have even if it's not working right now.
Wow I'd always repair it ways before ever considering deleting it.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by firebat45

Great question! I have my whole system in pieces not I'm hesitating on installing the caps to close off under driver seat due to concerns about oil pooling. Did you ever figure out which pieces to replace? Tia