Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Trans filler tube O-ring leaked

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 02:40 AM
Default Trans filler tube O-ring leaked

Parked my E150 automatic on a slight slope and noted fluid seeping from the filler tube seal. This is a 2001 van, question is will the simple O-ring correct this?

When fluid gets by this, definitely it is the seal?

Seems like a messy fix but not to difficult; I have never done it?

Old 03-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Default RE: Trans filler tube O-ring leaked

Normally a new O-Ring will correct the problem, , most times you wont loose more than about 1/2 qt oil , If you put it on a set of ramps , should get most of the oil to the rear of the pan, or try just jacking an blocking up the right side of the vechile, once again forcing the oil away from the dip stick.has allways worked for me, with only a small loss of oil

Old 03-13-2006, 11:36 AM

Thanks much for the info and it is very encouraging that I can now pull this off. I am gonna get the right front corner high and minimize the mess, like you said.

I suppose a little hook tool will be handy to pull out the old seal? That should be more evident when I get into this. Got my seal, mere couple bucks from my dealer (wish the new cargo area matt had been near that cheap--a little over $250)! I like keeping the equipment up.

Thanks again and now I am on my way, installed the mat yesterday and kinda sparked the van up (drivers seat next).

Old 08-18-2006, 11:53 PM

It is a good feeling when things work and I want to update and express thanks for the help and encouragement this forum offered on this problem.

I parked the van uphill with the passenger tire the highest point, went into the trans filler tube area and removed things to replace the O-ring.

It wasn't necessary to pull the tube out, just got it loose enough to raise it out of the transmission sufficiently high to remove the old and slip on the new O-ring. Made sure things were clean around this area to avoid dirt getting into the transmission.

Went to slick that I thought how could so little a part stop a leak, but it did. I was so glad because pulling the engine cover off and replacing is not my favorite job. Ford didn't leave excess opening to make the R&R of the cover easy.

Now that is fixed, and JW has educated me on interior door window handle removal, I am doing fine. Thought it was time to give this board a big "thank you", in general.

I look forward to researching issues and problems on this board, now I know why.

Doyle