Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:29 AM
Default Transmission fluid

Hi everyone
I have a 2005 E250 with 5.4 L engine on it.
I'm just wondering, if I can use fully synthetic transmission fluid instead of conventional trans fluid.
I'm planning to change the transmission fluid and filter _ including the fluid inside the torque converter _.
also is it a good idea to add an external cooler or the one existed is ok.
thank you

Old 10-24-2018, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

I’d stay with the OE MerconV, SP isn’t correct fill nor compatable.
The converters haven’t had a drain plug since 99, so options are a fluid exchange either using a machine, or you can do a measured fill/run/drop at the pan type exchange (return line removed) . Keeping in mind fluid temp met during an exchange. Some use a dillution method dropping the contents of the trans pan on regular intervals like every other engine oil change etc for fluid replacement and of course interval filter changes...

As far as a cooler,, heat is always the enemy for a trans, but depending on what weight you haul or tow the stock cooling should suffice, but if the plan is more extreme loading, extra cooling wouldn’t hurt...

Old 10-24-2018, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

I’d stay with the OE MerconV, SP isn’t correct fill nor compatable.
The converters haven’t had a drain plug since 99, so options are a fluid exchange either using a machine, or you can do a measured fill/run/drop at the pan type exchange (return line removed) . Keeping in mind fluid temp met during an exchange. Some use a dillution method dropping the contents of the trans pan on regular intervals like every other engine oil change etc for fluid replacement and of course interval filter changes...

As far as a cooler,, heat is always the enemy for a trans, but depending on what weight you haul or tow the stock cooling should suffice, but if the plan is more extreme loading, extra cooling wouldn’t hurt...
Great advises.
stick with OE Mercon V .
thank you