Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Default Transmission problems

Having problems with my transmission shifting smoothly when starting from a stop. Here is the vehicle history (2006 Ford E-350) over the past two months:

1. Had problems with transmission and took to trans shop in PA. Codes P0720 (output speed sensor signal circuit fault) and P0722 (output speed sensor no signam) were present. The speed sensor was replaced which resolved the codes. It also had a P0748 (pressure control solenoid electrical) and P0962 (pressure control solenoid circuit low). Turns out the torque convertor chewed itself apart and sent metal through the trans. Trans was replaced with a rebuilt transmission by a trans shop. U-joints were also replaced at the time as a precaution (vehicle had 150K+ miles at the time of work was done).

2. A few weeks and around 1,000 miles later the van started to clunk when accelerating from a full stop. It was intermittent at times and pronounced at other times. Seems related to how fast you accelerate from the stop. It drove fine once up to speed.

3. As a precaution, the van went back to original trans shop that replaced the transmission. They noted the battery was dead and was charged before proceeding. Codes P0748 & P0962 were back. They put another rebuild trans (model 4R75W) in the van. Codes P0748 and P0962 appeared again. Next they ohm'd the wires to the computer and replaced the computer with a rebuild computer, road tested and returned the vehicle.

4. The clunk came back again about 150 miles (note mostly highway miles driven…very few stops) after second trans and rebuilt computer were installed. During this time, the battery was replaced.

5. Went into a local shop in NJ referred to by trans warranty company. They found a Trans Range Sensor code and replaced the sensor with a new part (required some modification to mounting hardware but said it was fine). Vehicle clunk started again about 20 miles after work was done.

6. Went back to NJ shop with copy of the TSB 05-26-10 bulletin (based on guidance from this the FTW forum) and a P0705 (Transmission range sensor malfunction) code according to my scanner. They greased the splines and said it did not fix the issue. They found additional codes P1702 (Transmission range sensor intermittent), P0303 (Cylinder 3 misfire detected) and P0316 (Engine misfire detected on startup). They do not believe P0303 and P0316 are a concern or related.

So I have a trans that is clunking from a start with four codes currently.

P0705 - Transmission range sensor malfunction
P1702 - Transmission range sensor intermittent
P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire detected
P0316 - Engine misfire detected on startup

I have a long 3,000 mile trip in 3 weeks so need to get this fixed. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 AM

I would suspect there is a wiring or connection problem with the range sensor circuit. It will probably require a good shop to start from scratch and check everything including the replaced sensor itself.
Sometimes a poor ground connection will give multiple codes as will a questionable alternator, believe it or not. Problems like these require the right tools to pin down the problem and cannot always be easy to find or correct without the right tools and how to use them. A good scope man/woman would have a better chance of determining the cause(s).

Old 09-20-2012, 06:05 PM

Spoke to the shop tonight. They put the original trans range sensor in and started from scratch. They hooked up the diagnostics computer and everything was fine on the lift. They drove it and found the TR1 changed from open to closed as the engine is rev’d. They pulled off the doghouse and maneuvered the main wiring harness to the PCM and it resolved the problem. Their initial disgnosis was an intermittent wiring harness issue.

Upon further examination, they noticed the wiring harness was not in its normal place and that part of it was rubbing up against the EGR tube and had worn through the heat wrap and caused 6-7 wires to partially melt. He indicated this likely caused all of the codes. They repaired the wires and are putting the truck back together for a test drive. They feel pretty confident this was the problem.

The previous shop ohm’d the wires from the trans to the PCM and replaced the PCM. Is it possible they maneuvered the harness inadvertently which caused the rub and melting? I am not real familiar with this area of the van.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:46 AM

Whether the previous shop could have been responsible or not will remain an open question. The important thing is the problem was located and corrected.
Glad you have a good running vehicle again.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Default 2005 E-350 box van

Hello friends, need some help. I have a 2005 E-350 box van with a 6.0 power stroke diesel. 50,000 miles on it . Had some problems with engine and had to be towed to Ford dealer. Dealer fixed engine which was egr valve. Since I had to replace gas tank and fuel pump. When I picked up truck from Ford it wouldn't shift. Short story the tow truck company towed truck without pulling drive shaft and burnt and damaged trans which I never had problems with prior. Had trans rebuilt , still have a problem with trans popping out of overdrive and staying in one gear. brought truck back and they pulled it and found some burnt clutches again and put back in. Still same problem and trans shop can't find problem. They ran all electrical tests and are stumped. I took truck and are driving it for now. Any idea on what problem can be ?

Old 09-23-2012, 02:15 PM

This is only my opinion, but the trans shop would have done better if they had done what most of the dealers do, and that is exchange the trans for a factory rebuilt unit instead of trying to rebuild it. In which case it would have a good warranty.