Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

trouble accessing EGR tube at the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:33 AM
Default trouble accessing EGR tube at the exhaust

Hi folks,
I have a 1993 Ford E-350 5.8L. What begun as a simple job is quickly turning into a major headache. I had to replace the EGR valve (at 190000 miles it simply died). After some some frustrating attempts I was able to remove the EGR valve off of the EGR exhaust tube. The nut holding the EGR to the tube was fairly rusted and corroded and after much Pb blaster and heat I was able to get it off. My problem now, however, is that the nut doesn't have much thread left and it won't grab onto the new EGR valve. Hence, I am left with having to remove the EGR tube altogether and rigging it or even soldering the EGR tube to the EGR valve of just getting a new tube. At any rate, I am unable to get to the bottom of the EGR tube where it meets the exhaust to try my chances removing it. I have removed some of the bolts holding a think steel plate that keeps me from accessing the bottom EGR tube nut. Does anybody know how to gain access to that nut. Any diagrams or pictures I can look at on how to remove the metal plate? Should I tackle it instead by removing the splash guard? Any ideas are welcomed. Thank you.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:34 AM

Have you removed the doghouse from inside the vehicle? If not, remove it , and you should be better able to get to everything if I remember correctly. Will be waiting for your reply.
Let's see how you make out with this before trying to solder anything because that tube gets pretty hot and you may need to resort to some other way to seal it if necessary.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:33 PM

Hanky,
Thank you for replying. I have not removed the doghouse. I'll give it try tomorrow, though my first guess is that it is a bit far out of reach.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Default egr tube not accessible through the doghouse

Hi Hanky,
I tried your suggestion about accessing the lower nut of the EGR tube by removing the doghouse but it is not a viable option. After removing the doghouse and peering my head in there I could see the tube and a small corner of the nut in question but there is no way I could ever introduce a wrench, much less exert any kind of leverage.

I think Pb Blaster alone won't do the job. Heat probably will. I believe I need to tackle it from underneath. I removed three big nuts holding a big steel plate but there must be one or two elsewhere that I cannot see/access. I would appreciate any ideas/diagrams on how to remove the steel plate that sits right below the EGR nut as it attaches to the right exhaust manifold.

Happy Thanksgiving folks.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Default EGR tube removal

I'm not sure how else to proceed accessing the egr tube at the exhaust manifold. Today, I requested an estimate and I was quoted $200-275 to remove the EGR tube and replace it with a new one. Does this seem like an okay price?

Old 12-06-2013, 06:44 AM

If you don't have the tools or means to do what has to be done the price has to be OK.
Have you tried to get the large nut started on the bottom of the replacement valve , then install the valve to it's mounting?

Old 12-07-2013, 08:29 AM

hanky,
I tried threading the large nut to the EGR valve the way you suggest but it just won't grab onto it. There doesn't seem to be enough thread left in the nut. I can't figure out how to remove the lower nut. The Haynes manual doesn't cover the procedure; it just says to remove the EGR tube if is corroded.
I have plenty of tools. I have removed the bolts that seem to hold the protective shield under the egr tube but there must be one or two somewhere else that keep me from removing the shield. Once I do that, it won't be a problem removing the nut; Pb blaster, torch and a very large wrench. So frustrating!!!! grrrrrr

Old 12-07-2013, 09:52 AM

is it possible that one of the new parts might be wrong or not for your van? some times the place where van was built plays a role in what the parts fit properly. you might want to check and see if your van was built in the U.S. or Canada