Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

vibration at about 45-50 mph when accellerating slightly

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Default vibration at about 45-50 mph when accellerating slightly

2001 15 pass. 5.4L

I get an interesting vibration almost like running over rumble strips, but not quite that loud. It only does it for a second and the van continues to accellerate. I've only noticed it at this speed. Wondering if this is the transmission shifting through a certain gear?

Thanks

-supa

Old 11-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: vibration at about 45-50 mph when accellerating slightly

How many miles on the trans, and when was it last serviced?

It sounds like torque converter clutch 'shudder'.. Especially at those speeds.. Does the shudder stop as soon as you back out of the throttle 'slightly'? Depending on the mileage, and condition of the converter, sometimes a service will help with the shudder.. The fluid breaks down from heat and fluid shear and will cause this symtom..
If its a high mileage unit, then it may require more than a service if it is a converter issue..

Old 11-30-2006, 10:48 AM

Where did you get that helmet? That is COOL.
Thanks for the help to. I'll get the fluid changed and see what happens! Its got only 120K.

-supa

Old 08-29-2007, 09:18 AM

I am experiencing the same problem with my 2001 Escape, had it diagnosed this AM with the tech offering to service the torque converter for parts and labor is $150.00 - to replace the converter with parts and labor is $1,300.00 - the car has 80,700 miles on it - what would you recommend?

Old 08-29-2007, 09:23 PM

Same sympton noted on my 2001, E150 automatic with a 4.2, 135,000 miles.
Not bad and goes away if one acceleratesor backs off.

I am waiting to hear from someone who had service performed which eliminated the problem.

Anyone? Please give the exact service that was performed and was it done by Ford. BTW, what does Ford say about this?

Doyle

Old 08-30-2007, 08:10 AM

Since I took my 2001 Escape to the dealer for diagnosis, and was told the problem was the torque converter, I opted to try servicing the problem first ($150) instead of replacement ($1,300) - Ford pricing.

I didn't experience the vibration while drivinghome(3 miles)- which I would have felt before having the service done. The real test was the drive to work this morning on the expressway. I only felt a slight vibration once. Before having the service done,I would have felt the vibration at least 15 times.Opting for servicing the torque converter seems to be a band-aid until I either replace the converter or buya new vehicle.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:34 AM

Thanks for that additional input Krebs, it what It expected but not what I wanted to hear. My shutter isn't bad yet and I too may go for the service, er band aid, as it could prolong the real issue of replacing converter for several thousand miles.

I don't drive this van hard, it was purchased for my business with 130,000 miles on it for 5K, fairly clean and seems to be working out otherwise and in lieu of a 20K investment as we don't rack the miles on it fast. My previous 150 was purchased with 150,000 and we put 50K more on it without any mechanical problems (rust was the reason for the change). My point is, if I do the service and don't drive it like a race car it might be the thing to do.

Our road driving style has changed today, years ago, we didn't do jack rabbit starts and gun it just to get a car link ahead, nor did we seem so thirsty for engine with power. I am not a mechanic, but have had a box of tools a long time, and firmly believe that more of our transmission problems today are a result of this combo....."hell of a hurry and have to get ahead of the next guy". This combo does not lead to taking care of a torque converter, I would think it would stress it out. Maybe a transmission expert will step in and explain the whys and ifs of what's happening out in the transmission world today.

Everytime a new vehicle is displayed today, regardless of the manufacturer, the first thing in the exihibit is how much horsepower increase there is with the new. Heck, I read where little four cylinders are now going well over 200 hp. Whew, never heard of such 15 years ago, it was mpg! Something you would think consumers would prefer today with the price of fuel. I suppose they would like better milage today but not at the expense of power. If so, change won't occur until the "gallon" gets to about 6 or 7 dollars a gallon. The market is what it is.........old timers like me are not the main stream.

If someone wanted to buy a reliable, economical, utility vehicle today would the Escape be a good selection in a 4 cyl?

I am in the market, my Toyota pickup needs head gaskets for the second time (1st at 40 K, this time at 100K). I can't seem to see something to jump on and if that doesn't happen, I guess it will be another head gaskets again and hope for another 50K. The head design is defective and revised gaskets have been developed but nothing too date can be developed in the way of a gasket to overshadow the head problem. I haven't taken it apart yet and I know the heads (3.0 V6) will have to go to the machine shop. I don't even know if they can be fixed? Like I said, have tool box but am not a mechanic.

The escape comes with a four, I need to find out how big and maybe if a 3 year old one would be equipped with a nice four. Along that line of thinking, whose four does Ford use, Mazda? Or is one they developed?

This car world can get over your head in a hurry, can't it?

Any input to any of this, the transmission, the head gasket replacement on cast block/aluminum heads, or the 4 cyl on the Escape might help my thinking.

Doyle

Old 08-02-2010, 08:44 PM

I have a 2002 Escape with 130,000 and a vibration that comes in at about 60 mph on accel. as soon as I lift off the accelerator the vib is gone and it will come back when accelerator is applied. It just seem to start about 1,000 miles ago. I thought maybe it was a drive shaft weight or something but I checked and I can't see where there was ever a weight on it. I don't know if I should try the drive shaft or the torque converter service. ANy help would be appreciated. THanks