Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

What year models have good AC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Default What year models have good AC?

hi Guys, new to this forum.

Back in the 90's we had 3 different ford vans (2x E150 & 1x E350), and all had ice-cold AC. I'm in Texas, and I want the van in the mid-60's when it's 105 outside & driving down a baking highway. Front and rear A/C.

I have a couple of friends with early 2000 model (I think one was 2001, one was 2002) vans, and their ACs plain & simply sucked. Going down the road it was acceptable. But let say they parked the van & left the engine running, the engine would overheat and meanwhile the AC wouldn't really keep things cold inside. They both traveled with pets so they wanted/needed to do this on a regular basis & were both VERY disappointed.

So in reality it was both an AC and engine-cooling issue.

I'm now on the market again for a used E350 passenger extended van. Cold AC, either driving or parked is crucial to how we travel. Does anyone have any guidance as to what year models had issues?

I've always loved fords, and wouldn't get a GM if you gave it to me. But this is an issue that would be a deal-breaker.

Thanks
Tony

Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM

From my experience there are several factors to consider.
First the color of the vehicle, as you know it takes a lot of cooling to cool a dark colored vehicle.
Second, quite a few of the Ford A/C systems I have come across were actually either low on refrigerant , over charged or not operating properly.
When serviced properly a thermometer is inserted into the A/C duct and will usually provide 55 -60 degrees F . If there is too much leakage of hot air into the vehicle or the vehicle has improper coolant percentage the vehicle can and will overheat while left idling for a considerable length of time. I think I blew enough hot air for now, maybe someone will come up with a more definitive answer for you.
Also tinted glass is important to have in any air conditioned vehicle.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Default A/C clarification

Hanky,

Good points. Let me clarify. The two vehicles were serviced with properly maintained fluids and coolants. Per a qualified mechanic, they were both "as good as they're going to be".

Color is important, agreed. Both were off-white (silver or bronze-ish colors). And they tried covering all the windows with a heat-reflective material when parked (obviously not the front windows when driving). And I would be looking at a white or off-white van. So that's not an issue.

I did need to clarify that it was not a maintenance issue on these vehicles. I am asking specifically about factory configurations. Things like the engine overheating are obviously a design flaw. That particular van went back to the dealer and they didn't have a solution other than "don't idle on a hot day". Driving it didn't over heat. But I'd call that an inferior design.

I'm looking for an A/C guy who can say when were ford van A/C's better and when they were worse over the past 10 years...

Thanks
Tony

Old 05-11-2011, 03:33 AM

Having worked for a Ford dealership at one time, My next suggestion should tell you something. Try a second or third dealership. Many times if the guy can't make a buck on the job , because he doesn't know the answer, you get the answer you received.
Get a second or third opinion from a dealership with a service dept that is truly concerned with your problem.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:04 AM

The A/C systems started to suck when they went from R-12 to R-134a systems. The R-12 systems were basically good old fashion "ICE" boxes. You could actually get the vents to frost up on a R-12 system with a YORK-TECUMSEH compressor. Then the compressors went to rotary and wobble-plate design for MPG ratings, but still cold. Then along came the EPA and the R-134a era. Thus, starting in 1993 some MFGs like GM were installing R-134a systems and all vehicles in the US were R-134a as of 1995. If you want really cold A/C, go with a vehicle with a R-12 system. R-12 to R-134a converted system just plain suck unless the conversion included a condensor replacement to the capilary type.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:23 PM

well this probably wont be something that will answer your question the way you want...but I have a '95 E250 and the A/C is awesome in there. I do have a divider with 4" foam board insulation in it behind the front seats so it doesn't really take a whole lot to cool it down in there. But in my opinion, for a 20 year old van with almost 200,000 miles on it...the A/c is working like new. Even though the van does fill up with dust pretty bad when I'm driving down dirt roads....but that's a whole different issue with my van.