Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

2013 Ford Edge Rear Lift Gate Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 12:06 AM
Default 2013 Ford Edge Rear Lift Gate Issue

So my wife's '13 Edge has had this issue for a few months now. Whenever you try to open the rear gate it will open a few inches, then close. Likewise, when it is open and you try to close it, it will start moving towards the closed position for a second, and then return to the fully opened position. It does not matter if you use the button on the remote, the one on the dash or the buttons at the rear of the vehicle. This vehicle is not equipped with the "wave-your-foot-under-the-bumber" feature.

It seems to be acting the same way it would if the liftgate hit an obstruction, but it's not hitting anything. I though that maybe one or both of the gas shocked were going out and that was causing the drive moter to push harder to the point that it thought it hit an obstruction. So I replaced the gas shocks but it didn't change anything.

Basically, the only way to use it is to press the button and as soon as it opens an inch or so, I have to manually grab it and open it by hand. And it is really hard to push open or closed. So much so that my wife can't do it.

Finally, today I disconnected to top of the "pusher arm" (I'm sure there's a more technical name for it) from liftgate just to see what it would do. With the arm under no load, when I push the button to "close" the gate, the arm does retract fully. But as soon as it reached the bottom, it goes back up all the way.

So, all that to ask this question. Does this sound like I should be looking at getting a new motor, and new lifting arm, or does this sound like it may be a faulty sensor or something. Any advise would be creating appreciated.

Thanks!
Cody

Old 01-02-2021, 07:40 AM

I would recommend replacing the motor, they are not hard to do, the trim at the base is a little tricky with how it clips in but thats all.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:29 AM

I have a similar problem with my 2021 Edge. The rear lift gate will start to close and stop about 1/4 of the way. There is no obstruction. In addition, I have pushed the close button got in my Edge to drive and the lift gate had opened up again...still no obstruction.
I almost always have my cell phone in my other hand or close by. Or could my solar system interfere? Although solar panels do emit EMF radiation, it is quite small.
My dealership is unable to determine the cause. Now I am parking my Edge on the street away from the solar system.