Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

How to tell if trans has been replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Default How to tell if trans has been replaced?

Hello. I am trying to see if there's any way to tell if the transmission on my "New to me" 2011 Edge SEL has been replaced. There's no record of it from the dealer but I have been told by a mechanic friend that there is an external filter on mine that is only added when the tranny has been replaced.

Thanks
Stella

Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Hummm good question. I think that during assembly on the line many bolts, indeed the same bolts that might be used to bolt in the 'transmixer' are touched with a dab of white or yellow paint to indicate that these fasteners have been correctly tightened or torqued up. This tells the inspectors that these fasteners have not been overlooked...a Quality One thing.

So look for broken paint skins or paint edges that are not lining up. Other ways to tell are those clip-on wire harness holders may not 'fit' the undercoating, or dirt patterns any more..I mean a corner of these clips may expose a clean surface under them...they did not move by themselves. So they were disturbed during a mechanical procedure after line assembly. You just have to raise her up and give her a very good look~see.

skip.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:44 PM

I can run your vin for you & check your history if you want to pm me. Otherwise depending on your vehicle build plant and where it was shipped some cold weather states may install external transmission filter kits.