Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

Transfer case seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Default Transfer case seal

I have an 06 edge with 15000 miles. The vehicle has had a transfer seal done then a transfer case replacement then another transfer seal we have all papers on all the jobs. Then last night I found the CV boot leaking like a sive on the same side. Is there anyone else with these problems I also noticed the trans never seems to know where it wants to shift to and will stick or hesitate and buck in traffic and on acceleration. I am at witts end with this machine is there something Ford is not telling me or is this an isolated problem

Old 11-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Default RE: Transfer case seal

I am sorry the edge is an 07 not 06 and there are 25 TSB's to it is this normal

Old 11-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Default RE: Transfer case seal

Hi,

You are definetly not the only one in that situation, I know it because I work as a mechanic for Ford dealer. We replaced A LOT of those seals on the EDGE/MKX. What happen is that at the beginning we were replacing the seals with the same part number (that mean not an upgraded part). Then, because they were leaking again a few miles later we, at times, replaced the hole PTU (Power Transfer Unit, what you call the transfer case) with a new part number. But, if I remember well, some of the new PTU unit came with the same old part number seals. After all that we got new par number for the seal kits, and that should solve the problem.

Foryour transmission problem I'm sure you are running a bit to low for your transmission oil. If you wanna check it by yourself, drive the car for something like 5-10 minutes, then let the engine idle, transmission in park. Open the hood, and you will see what look like a black cap with yellow writings, you remove it, (it will come with the dipstick) clean it and put it back in. Get it out again and check the level on the marks. Or, go to your dealer.

Nic.