Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

09 Escape-hard shift-Aluminum Valves Need to Expand

Old 10-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Angry 09 Escape-hard shift-Aluminum Valves Need to Expand

I had a mechanic tell me that the reason my Escape shifts hard when the engine is cold is because the aluminum valves have to heat up and expand. Once they expand - it will shift normally. And it's not hurting my engine/transmission at all - completely normal for it to do that.

But I had a Ford guy tell me that it's not mechanical at all - just a computer chip issue.

So which is it? Has anyone been told that aluminum valves need to heat up and expand before the car operates normally???

Both excuses don't sound right to me. And for the record - I will never ever ever buy a Ford vehicle again!

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM

When we get conflicting opinions such as those you received, I believe a third and even a fourth opinion is in order.
Does the trans shift better after the trans warms up ?
Have you considered getting an opinion from 1 or 2 Ford dealerships?
There could be multiple reasons for the problem you are experiencing and the more info you can provide the better.
Some problems just cannot be solved over the internet.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 PM

To elaborate:

I bought this car brand-new in 09. It would shift hard when going into reverse and in the lower gears. It shifts more smoothly once the engine warms up. It doesn't jerk into reverse anymore - that was something they actually were able to fix - but it still shifts hard going forward. It's a V6 with the 6F35 transmission.

Since I've had the car, I've had to take it to the dealership for the following issues:
  • PCM reprogrammed and KAM cleared (several times)
  • 10B15 recall done (not really an "issue," I know)
  • Solenoids and gaskets replaced
  • Front axle shaft and bushings replaced
  • Dipstick replaced (leaking transmission fluid)
  • Vent tube replaced
STILL shifting hard.

Reasons given for hard shifting:
  • "it's a characteristic of the car" (by a rep @ Ford Motor Company)
  • "not a mechanical issue - the powertrain control module needs to be reprogrammed to the latest update" (it was reprogrammed - and it still shifts hard) (dealership) and (Ford engineer)
  • "2 quarts low on transmission fluid" (this was one month after a Ford tech said the levels were fine) (independent mechanic)
  • "supposed to shift hard because valves are aluminum and they need to expand first" (independent mechanic)
So with all that being said - I am wondering if anyone has heard of the aluminum valves needing to expand first before it can shift properly? If so, is that completely normal and it doesn't hurt my engine/transmission?

I think these guys are just coming up with something so I'll go away.

Thank you.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 AM

My son just gave me his 2008 Ford Escape. On driving it home it started not shifting correctly. You have to put put it into drive to be in reverse, and go all the way to 1 to be in Drive. It started doing this as he received his car after Sea shipment, and anything could have happened. I have taken it to two shops. The second one took a good look, and did find a wire where he did not like it, down under. Fluid a little high. I have not taken any Codes, Battery charging a 13.8 Volts (Constant) and 600 CCA. It has been running Fine for my son, but just receintly had a problem that was repaired; so this can be anything, including the the COLD. I am in Colorado. It could be a mechanical slip in the shifting. The engine tach, is also going nuts. This started at the same time.
Will have to keep in touch
Uncle Dave

Old 12-13-2012, 03:52 PM

I know this sounds like it's out in left field , but if you can locate a GOOD shop with an experienced scope man/woman and have them check the crank sensor for a consistent signal. I believe it is dropping out and causing numerous problems. It could be the sensor , the wiring or an intermittent connection.
Also ,there may be a problem with the shift linkage to the range sensor.

Last edited by hanky; 12-13-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: addl info