Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2007 Ford escape wheel bearing choice

Old 02-27-2018, 11:35 PM
Default 2007 Ford escape wheel bearing choice

Hi Guys,

I just purchased a 2007 ford explorer that runs great and has no rust! The only thing it needed that I knew going into this was new wheel bearings. I've been on rock auto and there are a few choices. Motorcraft, SKF and TIMKEN. I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions on what I should choose? I heard TIMKEN is made in America but SKF is not so id just like a little help! Thanks again!

Old 02-28-2018, 06:02 PM

We try to stay with OEM when possible (Motorcraft). The other 2 remaining manufacturers have a good reputation from my experience and I do not believe you would go wrong with any of those choices.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:09 PM

Yep, stay with the OEM on this one. TIMKEN bearings use to be great units, but no more. Perfect example is when when we had our 2000 Taurus, I replaced both front hubs with TIMKEN units from Autozone. Both had lifetime warranties. Never had a problem with them. Not any more, they only come with a 1 year warranty. Needed to replace the hubs on our friend's 2006 Taurus and they came with only a 1 year warranty (TIMKEN units). Also had the same issue with another friend's 2005 Chevy Venture. It seems to eat hubs like candy. Started out with lifetime warranted TIMKEN hubs from Autozone, then they went to a 1 year warranty due to quality of the units.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:27 AM

A little FYI.
Bearing manufacturers manufacture bearings for a lot of accounts. The top of the line go to OEM. Others that don't quite meet spec for one reason or another go to aftermarket purchasers. If the purchaser will accept lower quality for a cheaper price no more needs to be said.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:27 AM

FWIW the Timken bearings I bought were made in USA (another car). They also have manufacturing in India. While Timken is a USA company and did make everything here including producing their own steel to have better control over how the steel is made.....like so many USA part manufacturers they move manufacturing offshore to compete with the influx of foreign made products which sadly does have an impact of how it is made and what it is made from

Regarding the Op's ?, I think any of the 3 will be "OK". I don't know where the Motorcraft ones are made or if they are just rebranded bearings made by someone else

I do agree with the above post...you often get what you pay for (read cheaper $=cheaper made part)

Old 03-05-2018, 12:15 AM

I've noticed that since Ford created FORDPARTS.COM, their parts pricing is more in line with aftermarket retail stores. Sometimes they even have better pricing.

I would also check ford for a "LOADED" hub if you have replaceable hubs. Haven't had to play with any Escape units. When I need a new hub for my 2004 Freestar, I found that Ford had a "LOADED" hub assembly (Hub & Rotor) for less than a hub only. So I ordered both the right & left units. Paid the same price for both loaded assemblies as what I would have paid for one hub.

Not sure if they have it for your vehicle or if they still sell that way, but it's worth checking on. Even the parts guy wasn't aware of it until I printed it out and showed him.