Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2009 Escape TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Default 2009 Escape TPMS

Tire pressure light started coming on but tire pressure is good. The non replaceable battery in the TPMS/valve stem are dying. They have a 5-10 year life so at 10 years old these are done.

IDK what dealerships or tire stores charge but I just bought 4 new "motorcraft" TPMS and the code transmitter from Amazon (links). Tire shop charged $10 (they wanted $20 but I said BS, I bought the tires here) to install and did a balance/tire rotate. I programed the sensors in the parking lot. All in this cost me $123. I have heard the generic ones tire shops sell you have short battery life, IDK, just went with Ford replacements. YMMV

Procedure:

1. Key off, press then release brake
2. turn key from off to on (don't start car) 3 times leaving the key "on" on the 3rd one
3. press and hold brake for 2 seconds then release
4. turn key off/on 3 times leaving the key on on the 3rd one. Mileage/instrument cluster will say LF Tire Learn.
5. Go to LF tire and hold programmer (push button) on next to valve stem. Horn honks when complete
6. Go to RF tire and repeat with programmer (push button) on that valve stem. Horn honks when complete
7. Go to RR, repeat
8. Go to LR, repeat
9. you're done. Gauge cluster will say "Learning Complete"., turn key off.

Programmer
Amazon Amazon

TPMS
Amazon Amazon

Apparently you are supposed to "re-learn" these TPMS every time you rotate tires so the computer knows which tire is low (LF, RF, RR, LR). I don't recall the gauge cluster telling me which one was in error (although it was the TPMS "system" that was the problem) when the light went on nor have I ever "re-learned" any TPMS since I have had the car and tires were rotated several times...but I never had the "low tire" icon ever come on other than start up so don't know if it identifies which tire is actually low

Old 10-13-2018, 03:35 AM

Thanks for sharing the reset info with us.
Some systems identify which tire , some don't.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Some systems identify which tire , some don't.
I could just let some air out of a tire to activate the low TP light and see if there is any text that identifies which tire it is. IDK how much pressure needs to be dropped to activate it so out of curiosity I will try

I really never noticed I even had TPMS on the car although the indicator light does come on briefly every time you start the car, just never paid attention to even notice it before.

Its the indicator lights that come on while driving that get my attention :-)