Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2010 ESCAPE A/C Condenser Design Flaw?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Angry 2010 ESCAPE A/C Condenser Design Flaw?

This is our first new Ford and is just a year old.
After taking our vehicle to the Ford dealer (due to non-working A/C) we were advised that the condenser was damaged due to an impact and was not a warranty repair. After looking at the "damage" it was obvious that it was a stone or similar object that had impacted the condenser causing the freon to leak out. The total cost to repair this would be close to $1000. This condenser is completely exposed to stones or other road hazards as Ford has not taken steps in the design to protect this fragile component. If you step up to Ford's EDGE, you'll notice a protective grill in this area. The Ford Escape has no protection in this area.
The Ford dealer was in agreement that it could be a design flaw but warranty would not cover the part or repair.

Our next step is to contact Ford Canada and file a consumer complaint seeking coverage as I believe the lack of protection for such a fragile part is a design oversite / flaw.
I would suggest that other Escape owners look into placing a screen over this exposed area before you end up in our situation ( hot under the collar and $1000 bucks poorer)

Last edited by SAW001; 07-16-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added content
Old 07-17-2011, 11:54 AM

Here in beautiful, stone infested Colorado, we go through this all year long. If it's not CDOT putting down cinders in the winter (hard to find many cars without a cracked windsheild), it's the stones in the summer. This happens fairly often, and the best suggestion I can think of (it's helped me out) is to put a piece of flyscreen or some other kind of netting infront of the condensor. Don't choose a screen that's too fine, and you should be good. Unless this was a boulder, i can't beileve a dealer is that picky, but then again, when you work for Ford, they call the shots. They've figured out that if they 1) deny every warranty claim the first time, or 2) don't pay for something, then it saves them money. I will say this; Ford has some of the most aggresive bean counters i've ever seen these days.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Default AC Condenser in 2010 Ford Escape design flaw

I just had an identical experience to a fellow Escape owner (this is our second) with a cost of $946.00 for something I could not have anticipated or been careful with.

In fact , you can now by a netting for $135.00 which will protect your new AC Condenser from this apparent flaw.

I am really upset and plan to take it to Ford Canada myself, if necessary.

We are loyal dealer and Ford supporters for nearly ten years, this is not acceptable.