Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2013 AWD Escape Titiatium rear end noice

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 06:51 AM
Default 2013 AWD Escape Titiatium rear end noice

Hello Everyone, as a member of other forums I know this is a great place to start when there is a problem. My wife's '13 Escape has this noise that is consistent with wheel speed. Nothing on, in or around the tires not that kind of clicking noise. More of a thumping sound. When going down the road I put the car in neutral and the sound stayed consistent with wheel speed. So, I promised I'd dig into her car this weekend. I am hoping that some one here can help point me in the right direction.

The car drive's fine, proper braking, steering control and so forth. Like as if there is something wrapped around something and hitting something. Any clues?

Much appreciate any help.
Boxcar

Old 06-26-2019, 01:37 PM

Is it possiile for you to try to pin down if the noise is louder on one side than the other ?

Old 06-27-2019, 06:08 AM

Good to meet you "hanky",

And no it is just coming from the rear. The plan is to jack and support the vehicle, remove wheels and put in gear to help pin down where it is coming from. She recently had new brakes put on, but the sound was there before and after the brakes. That tech told he could find anything either. Is there any possibly that its coming from the AWD drive train? But again, when going down the road and you put the car in neutral and the engine slows to an idle the sound is consistent with wheel speed. Something wrapped around one of the drive shafts maybe?

Old 09-23-2019, 06:59 AM

Follow up and repair, the problem was in fact a wheel bearing going bad. I have replace the bearings and it is quiet as new.

For other members who may have an issue, it sounded like a baseball card on a bicycle. Very even and consistent with wheel speed.

Until next time, have a great day everyone.

Boxcar-7

Old 09-23-2019, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the update.

It's really nice when a vehicle owner repairs a problem and let us know what caused it and what corrected it.
That's how we all learn.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Thanks for the update.

It's really nice when a vehicle owner repairs a problem and let us know what caused it and what corrected it.
That's how we all learn.
Agreed. The best part of being a forum member is reading other members experience.