Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2014 Escape Low beams on when switch is off and high beams don't come on.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 12:01 PM
Default 2014 Escape Low beams on when switch is off and high beams don't come on.

I have The issue I am having is that the low beams come on when the car is turned on and the light switch is in the off position. I have the dash mounted manual switch. Thus no fog lights and no auto dimming. Also the high beams no longer come on when using the high beam switch. I have looked for codes and the OBDI is not throwing any codes. I was told by a Ford Mechanic that it should be if the switch is bad, however I am not sure if he was just blowing smoke so to speak. I went in the engine fuse box and replace F39 which is the fuse for the Headlight switch. Same result. I then pulled the fuse entirely and still same result the low beams stayed on when the car was on. I replaced the good fuse and removed the light switch. Same results that the low beams stays on when the car was on. I also checked the passenger side fuse for the highbeams and that was ok. I know that if there is a fault with the switch the BCM (Body Control Module) will default to turning on the low beams when it does not know where the switch is. I also tried replacing the switch with a similar switch from my neighbors Escape (although the switch for his had the fog lights and auto dimming so not sure if that would cause the same issue) And nothing changed.

My question is, could there be an issue with the HCM (Headlamp control Module) Would that cause this type of issue? The dealer now wants me to bring it in and them spend hours troubleshooting the wiring but I am not sure that would do anything as there seems to be a fault being read by the BCM as it does not change even when I remove the fuse or the switch itself.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.