Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Broke end of camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 10:30 AM
Default Broke end of camshaft

Hi all,
I've got a 2005 Escape and think the timing chain broke or skipped time. I got the valve cover off, exposing the camshafts, and was working to get the engine set to TDC. I had tried to put the metal bar into the slots on the end of the camshafts to make sure they were aligned, but I could never get them to line up(engine jumped time?). I accidentally left the metal bar in the slot on one of the camshafts while I tried to remove the crankshaft pulley and ended up cracking the end off of one of the camshafts. (The tool holding the pulley slipped off when I was trying to remove the pulley bolt and so all the resistance came from that bar in the camshaft groove and it broke).

Will that cause any issues if I leave that camshaft in there? Will it be unbalanced or do those camshafts not spin very fast? I've attached a photo with the cracked camshaft circled. Sorry the camshaft was rotated wrong to get a better view of the cracked off part.

Thanks!