Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

help!!!2004 escape wont turn off

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Default help!!!2004 escape wont turn off

I know most car problems are when they wont start.... But thats why we love our fords

My wifes truck wasn't turning off , so i figured it was an ignition switch , when i unplugged it when it was running and it still didnt turn off , i knew i had a bigger problem.
I turned the car off by pulling out the eec relay and notice the realy had power with the key off , so i started looking at anything else related . For some reason after messing with the relay the ani theft seems to keep it from starting for a little while . when it is not starting , if i bypass the starter relay it will start and once it is running if you put it into the crank position it will try to engage the starter . I have pulled all of the relay's in fuse box under the dash and the one near the battery the only one that makes any difference is the eec relay which will kill it but something is feeding power to that.
My latest guess is that the fuse box under the dash may be shorted , but havent gotten a new one to try and swap , the only other guess i can come up with is the GEM but i dont think that can be supplying power backwards???? But i guess when we are talking about electricity being in the wrong place anything can happen ......

Any Ideas ??

Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Default RE: help!!!2004 escape wont turn off

Well I guess i was the first with this problem .

The fuse box under the dash was shorted . Once I ignored the side effects it was a simple fix. Unplugged the fuse box and checked across the fuses , founf fuses that should not have power wer getting power from the side of the fuse box that always has power

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Default RE: help!!!2004 escape wont turn off

I am new, but I do not remember reading about your problem, but it would have stumped me anyway. I am a fuse chaser to be sure, but the actual fuse box would be one of my last stops just you just do not hear about the box itself going bad that often. If anything the Fuse Sockets gets loose or corroded and does not let power through...not the other way around.

Thanks for sharing the fix with us, that will go into my little section of strange problems and possible fixes.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Default 2004 ford escape engine wont shut off

I too have an 04 escape. It all started with the power draining and the car being dead to now when I pull the key out the car is still on. When the car is off ant the key is out it thinks that it is still halfway on. I replaced the ignition switch but still the car will not turn off. Is the next step to replace the ignition its self or just take it in and let a mechanic deal with it?