General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 tbird ignition problem. can turn on and wont turn off, hadda pull the battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Default 95 tbird ignition problem. can turn on and wont turn off, hadda pull the battery

Hey guys, my names steven and i have a 95 t-bird lx v8 4.6
i love my tbird to death but the only problem i had was that i could start my car without my keys, and the notorious ford beeping happened
then lastnight i went to start my car, turned the ignition, heard a click like something snapped, the car started, but as i went to shut it off, i turned the key toward me and it wouldnt, it just turned smoothly. So i had to pull the battery and a sparkplug to shut it off. I dont know what the problem could be, if anyone could help it would be really appreciated

Old 11-28-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by xxtank88xx
Hey guys, my names steven and i have a 95 t-bird lx v8 4.6
i love my tbird to death but the only problem i had was that i could start my car without my keys, and the notorious ford beeping happened
then lastnight i went to start my car, turned the ignition, heard a click like something snapped, the car started, but as i went to shut it off, i turned the key toward me and it wouldnt, it just turned smoothly. So i had to pull the battery and a sparkplug to shut it off. I dont know what the problem could be, if anyone could help it would be really appreciated
What do you mean by "start my car without my keys"? Do you have a remote starter on it, or you just hot-wired the car like the old-school car thieves? Also, what do you mean by the "Notorious Ford beeping happened"?

You say the key wouldn't turn back to off ... this sounds like a mechanical breakdown of the key hub itself ... The click you heard could have been the link between the key lock and the contacts block snapping off, so you were able to turn the ignition on, but not to bring it back to off position, which kept the car running ... If the ignition key doesn't feel as usual, it would be the first thing to check / replace.

Let us know ... and good luck!

Old 11-28-2011, 02:13 PM

I believe there is a gear that is indexed to the ign key tumbler unit in the steering column. That gear is indexed to a rack with a rod that goes down to the ign switch assy on the lower part of the steering column. While you have the battery disconnected if you turn the ign key on there is a little button under the key tumbler that you depress with a small punch and it allows you to remove the key tumbler assy. You may be able to better look for what broke with the tumbler out.
That beeping is probably the ign key warning system that reminds you the key is on and not completely shut off among other things.
Just keep in mind if you decide to get into the column disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes before messing with the air bag system. Let us know what you found.