Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Help with 2012 Escape Electrical ( Windows/Radio/Doors/Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Default Help with 2012 Escape Electrical ( Windows/Radio/Doors/Wipers

So I just purchased a 2012 Escape XLT from a used dealership and am having several issues with it that i'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with.

Door Lock - I cannot get the front passenger side door to lock, regardless by using the power locks or by physically pushing down on the locking mechanism on top of the door panel. It is almost as if the mechanism on the inside is jammed?

Electrical - Several issues occurring here;

Windows - I cannot control any of the windows via the driver side controls, however can get the windows to work using their respective passenger side controls, all but the exception of the rear-drivers side window which does not work at all.

Radio - Occasionally my radio display will go sporadic, not properly displaying the info and showing random dots/dashes/lines. I'v also noticed that the only info it actually will display is specific to the radio only, not outdoor ambient temperature, fan settings etc however when the display DOES go erratic, I can see the locations illuminated of where the aforementioned items WOULD be displayed normally?

Wipers - Both the front and rear windshield washer fluid will not work with fresh cold weather washing fluid. It's possible the lines/nozzles may be blocked however when I activate the washer fluid either front or rear, I cannot even hear the sound of the washer pump being activated.

The rear windshield wiper also does not work. I suspect maybe the motor is gone however it looks like it has already been replaced previously.

Has any one ever had/heard of issues similar to this? Wondering if there is a common issue with the electrical faults i'm having. How would I go about diagnosing these issues?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Ricky

Old 02-21-2019, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quite the list

Door lock,, quite possibly the latch.
Id suspect the master switch for the loss of window control,, but would do some quick power distribution checks at the connector prior to replacement. Sometimes the jamb harness can cause opens etc. Side window, checked for switched power there as well..
Radio, what level of Audio does it have?
WW, pump would be the first suspect and connector control checked before moving ahead. The multi function could be cause, and the washer relay F/R are built in to the wiper motor electrics..Doubt both would have failed. Do you hear them click activating the multi? If so, check the pump.
Rear wiper,, switched power distribution can be checked at the rear gate upper connectors, or at multi if missing at the back

Last edited by Hayapower; 02-21-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:44 PM

Hayapower, thanks for the reply, seems to be along the lines of what I suspected.

With the door lock, it almost seems liek the vertical rod ( that pops up through the top of the door) seems like it's almost wedged in place on a bit of an angle causing it to jam.

The window controls only seem to be affected on the driver's side, so i'll have a look at the ,aster switch and the harness on the driver side.

Audio level and functions seem to be fine, it's just the occasional flicker of the display into garbled data or lines/dashes.

WW, I can hear a clicking noise when I try to actuate the rear wiper/washer but can't identify anything for the front as it simultaneously activates the front wiper. I did notice that in the passenger fusebox panel, the 25A fuse for the rear wiper was actually missing. I bought a replacement 25A fuse but it didn't seem to fix anything, however the following morning when I went to start the vehicle was completely flat ( no lights were left on overnight) I've removed the fuse and haven't had that problem again, so I'm suspecting some weird kind of power draw issues which I need to investigate more.

I'll try to get my hands on a Multi meter and a mechanic friend to give me a hand. Really don't wan't to go to the stealership for this because I feel they will charge an arm and a leg for something I can probably troubleshoot myself.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

If you need any illustrations etc,, let me know