New Headlights - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:27 PM

Default New Headlights

I purchased headlight bulbs for my 2008 escape but they were not bright enough. I want the white/blue lights. The last ones I bought were so dim that the high beams looked like low beams. Anyone have a specific place/type to get? I want to avoid buying and returning multiple bulbs.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:35 PM

Default H11......I Think

I got Xenon Sylvanias for mine at my local part store $60 CDN. Amazon have a bunch too. Look for 4000k or higher for the brightness level. That should getcha seein' just fine.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:58 AM
Premium Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwood View Post
I purchased headlight bulbs for my 2008 escape but they were not bright enough. I want the white/blue lights. The last ones I bought were so dim that the high beams looked like low beams. Anyone have a specific place/type to get? I want to avoid buying and returning multiple bulbs.
Hi @mnwood and welcome to the forum!
If you are looking for max visibility, we recommend picking bulbs with just white (non-bluish) kelvin output. That blue shade will decrease amount of light the bulbs deliver.
Now, as for recommendations of the bulbs that will last. If you just want quality halogen bulbs, we recommend picking a set of Sylvania bulbs. They are backed up with a 1-year manufacturer warranty, by the way. And also here is an installation tip. When installing the new bulbs, try not to touch the glass with bare fingers, as there is some natural grease which gets transfered to the glass, and when the bulb operates, this grease creates uneven glass temperature. It can make the bulb blow out sooner, than expected. To prevent this from happening, we recommend wiping a bulb with an alcohol napkin after the installation and let that alcohol dry for 5-10 seconds. Alcohol will degrease the glass and prolong the lifespan of your bulb.
There is another option I can recommend at this point. You may want to upgrade your headlights to LEDs by installing an LED conversion kit instead of halogen bulbs. Here is an LED conversion kit that I can recommend from the experience. Its lifespan is over 50.000 hours and it is backed up with 5-year warranty. Besides, LEDs provide more light, than halogens, and are brighter.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:22 AM

FYI

Kelvin= the color "temperature". not how much light it puts out. Lumens is output

older incandescent bulbs are around 3200k. Xenon, HDI and LED source typically 5-8k

Look for a bulb type with high lumens....

Many people think just because the headlight looks "whiter" it is brighter ...it is lumens that you should concentrate on regarding how much output the light will "project" (distance)