Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Rattling coming for exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 11:43 PM
Default Rattling coming for exhaust

2008 Ford escape Limited, Has rattling when you start the engine and when you step on the gas. Was told it was the Y pipe by the dealership, Got a new one, and still have the problem. THEN was told it was a hole in the cat converter and asked for another 1K to fix. Didn't do it, after picking it up from the shop, and noticed they did a soapy spray and saw that there was a leak by the connection point of the exhaust and cat converter. After sealing it up with puddy, the rattly STILL hasn't gone away. SUV still feels like it has a different compression when you start it up and has to force its way to find equilibrium before the rattle goes away but still rattles when you step on the gas. Please if you could possibly help me find out what the hell is going on. I already spent over 2K trying to fix this dumb issue, not to mention the dealership trying to screw me over.

Old 04-17-2021, 05:46 AM

Don't get annoyed because we ask certain questions.
The first is , who and how was it determined the noise was coming from the exhaust system?
Sometimes the substrate inside a converter will become dislodged, but still function correctly, could this be the problem?

Old 04-17-2021, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Don't get annoyed because we ask certain questions.
The first is , who and how was it determined the noise was coming from the exhaust system?
Sometimes the substrate inside a converter will become dislodged, but still function correctly, could this be the problem?

No Please do ask questions! The shop's technician said it was coming from the Y pipe. I received a call later saying it was the converter. Wasn't going to pay another 1K after they told me that it was the Y pipe and after looking online, the converter is sold as low as 100 bucks? The rattle does sound like it's coming from the Y pipe but getting a new one did not solve the problem.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:02 AM

Here are some things you might check.
If this happens when the vehicle in in gear, a damaged motor mount can allow an engine to torque (twist) and a piece of the exhaust system could contact a stationary part of the underside of the vehicle. If the muffler has a loose baffle (not that common) it can create a noise also.

A little side note,
Some states require all paperwork for replacing a converter be kept for a year or two stating the reason it needed to be replaced and by whom and the old converter be retained for inspection if desired.
Getting a quality converter for under a hundred bucks scares me , for that amount of $$$ it could have "RICE" inside, if you get my point..
What might help would be to get a few different opinions from a good local shop or two. Get some idea from a muffler shop.
It's good that you ask here and you may get a few different suggestions, but it isn't costing you anything.
It is difficult to suggest a definite cause without actually hearing the sound and physically checking the vehicle.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:00 PM

Thanks, Hanky, appreciate your time helping people out. The rattle only happens when you cold start the engine and when you step on the gas. When you cold start it, sounds like the engine is having a hard time breathing and rattles much. In just a min or so the rattle goes away and the engine sounds good again. The rattle then only happens when you step on the gas. Starting the engine warm seems to negate the rattle sound. The sound is coming from near the Y pipe it sounds like.

I am no auto mechanic but it seems like there is something that is restricting the flow of air and causing the compression of the system to offset. Putting too much pressure on the exhaust, causing it to rattle. Does this sound right?

Damn I hate fixing cars and finding a shop that you can trust is impossible, seems like everybody is just trying to take advantage of your limited knowledge of cars. I hope in the future no one has to deal with this BS. Just get rid of cars in general OMG

Old 04-17-2021, 04:27 PM

Just a few bad apples can spoil the barrel and a few not so good repair people can give a bad taste to all of us.
Your thoughts may not be as far off as you might think.
There have been instances where a piece of the pipe collapsed internally and caused a restriction problem.
Are we correct in believing the Y pipe was replaced?

Is there any way you can make a recording and post it on this forum?

Usually a restriction doesn't go away. A quick vacuum check can tell right away if the RPM is held steady at 2000 RPM and the RPM drops.
Is it possible the noise may not be coming from the exhaust system at all?

Last edited by hanky; 04-17-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:52 PM

Yes the y pipe was replaced and after taking a good look at what they replaced, ALL the parts look like after-market parts. Thought they said it was gonna be OEM parts? Shaddy *** people my God. I don't mind paying the price if what they offer is worth it.

This is a youtube video link that I just did in order to post on here. Looks like it is leaking from the exhaust manifold. Which is also called a cat converter? WTF

I didn't have a lift so I had to crawl underneath it, sorry for the bad video.

Last edited by FordLimited; 04-17-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:34 AM

The recording ,to me, sounds like it might be coming from the crank pulley (vibration damper). When the sound absorbing material squeezes out , it makes a metal to metal sound. Just have someone check that that hasn't happened.
Usually , worn loose parts noise don't completely away when heated, but some do.
Check for a cracked flywheel flex plate.
Let us know if any of this was helpful, thanks.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:48 AM

Thanks Hanky but I think I'm done trying to figure this **** out. It's clear the person who sold this to me and the people at the dealership are one of the same type of people. I have lost faith in most people here on earth. People are truly the viruses of this earth.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:29 PM

Just hang in there, there are some good knowledgeable folks on this forum and we should be able to offer from our experiences some things that might bring this to a good conclusion.
Even those of us that are supposed to know better get a dose of reality and we get through it and so will you.

I would be reasonably sure some of the diagnosis you have received could be from a possible lack of knowledge or experience, I could be wrong.
One of the things that has helped me when I was almost ready to throw in the towel, and believe me , we have all been there,was , when the going gets tough, the tough get going and to be where you are today, you had to be tough, Right?