Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Rear Right Drum Getting Very Hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Exclamation Rear Right Drum Getting Very Hot

Greetings all, new to the forums here, hoping someone can give me some ideas. I have a 2005 Ford Escape, disc brakes in the front, drums on the rear. I had all the brake hoses replaced all around as well as the wheel cylinders on the rear drums last year. The rear right-side drum after driving gets much hotter than the rear-left side. The problem is bad enough, when the weather is warmer and after a longer drive, I can actually smell something on the rear-right side if I stick my head near the wheel well (almost reminds me of burnt plastic), the drum is extremely hot (boils off water instantly), and the rim is even pretty hot to the touch. The rear-left side is just fine, warm, but not too hot at all. This didn't start happening, to my knowledge, until the wheel cylinders were replaced. I am not sure if I need to have something adjusted or something else is going on (bad wheel cylinder, wheel bearing?). I don't believe any adjustments were done after the wheel cylinders were replaced either.

On a side note, I have checked the parking break wasn't on as well...it's about 3-5 clicks until it wont go any further.

At any rate, if anyone has some suggestions as to what the problem and possibly a solution would be, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Old 08-14-2018, 12:54 PM

sounds like that brake is adjusted to tight. The rear brakes should have been adjusted when wheel cylinders were installed...

...now the "why" the wheel cyl were replaced in the first place is suspect that the rear brakes were to tight. Either from faulty "self adjusters" or someone tightened them to much which creates heat and will kill wheel cylinders as well as seals let alone brake shows and drums

You likely have well glazed those brake shows so a complete rear brake job should be done. Not a hard DIY job if you are mechanically inclined or not a real expensive job to have done. I do my own brakes on all my cars

You will have to use a brake tool or screw driver to loosen the adjuster to get that drum off

Old 08-17-2018, 04:58 AM

If you wonder why some places charge what seems like a high price for brake system work ,this is one of the reasons why.

They replace all brake hardware, springs, adjusters etc. The last thing they need is for you to come back with a problem because they used worn parts.

If you are doing the rear brake job,do everything. You can get hardware kits with all the parts you will need. Don't skimp,you expect those brakes to work when you need them. Always get the drums cut/trued because the shoes don't always wear the drums equally and when you install new shoes working against worn drums , it gets done often by a lot of people that don't know , and they get by, but if you look at the shoe linings you will notice they wear more on the outside than the inside and so does the drum . New shoes should have flat and not tapered drums to work with. The same goes for hardware,you can't always see the wear , but it is there. Do it all, do it once and do it right.