Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Weird Creaking/Groaning Gearbox Noise When Turning Left!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 06:47 PM
Default Weird Creaking/Groaning Gearbox Noise When Turning Left!

Hi All,

I hope I might be able to ask someone more clever than me on my rather rubbish car! I have a 2001 V6 Ford Escape, which is on close to its last legs. She's a complete dog, if I'm being honest - 200,000 miles on the clock! But due to financial constraints, I keep it running doing usually my own mechanical work, rather than upgrading to a more reliable newer car.

Currently, it's making a weird sound, that I hoped someone might know something about??

The car makes a weird, fairly loud groaning/creaking kind of sound whenever I turn left (it's not a full lock hard left turn thing - it does it even on half a turn, if the speed is about between say 10 and 25 miles an hour). There are quite a few undiagnosed
oil oil
leaks around the
engine engine
, if that makes a difference to the below points?

Some details:

It only makes this creaking noise under load - ie when accelerating a little bit round or through a corner, at a minimum of say 10 mph speed

The noise STOPS IMMEDIATELY if I keep the accelerator down but knock the column auto stickshift into "neutral" - in other words, if the revs are still up but the gearbox is instantly taken out of the equation, the sound instantly disappears

It does it quite a bit more when the car is warmed up than when it's cold

It ONLY does it turning left - NEVER right

The car needs to be cornering under a little load - 2 miles an hour won't replicate it, but around 10 and up will.

It doesn't occur at all if I am stopped and just spin the
steering steering
wheel full lock in either direction - it only does it when I'm driving forward AND when the gearbox is engaged in drive or other gears. So it seems not to be a
steering steering
box issue, as that works fine when stopped and just spinning the
steering steering
wheel - no groans.

It does it in all the auto gears, not just drive.

It sounds like creaking shockies/suspension, but due to the fact that it ONLY does it when the gearbox is engaged, it must be gearbox related, do you think? When I knock it all of a sudden into neutral under slight accelerator load, the noise instantly disappears.

Any advice at all would be very much appreciated, thank you, from Australia!

StuMur

Old 01-20-2018, 07:58 AM

Might be a good idea to check out the outer C/V joint for the driver's side axle.