Ford Excursion So the size of the Expedition is not enough for you, then the massive Excursion is the way to go. With options including a powerful diesel engine, the Excursion is like a tractor trailer built for family use.

2001 excursion Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:14 AM
Default 2001 excursion Brakes

I have owned my Excursion since 2001 and have never had this problem until this weekend. I was in the mountains coming down a steep hill covered with 6in of snow and when I applied the brakes, it made a growling noise and it felt as someone was pushing back on the petal. I had hardly any brakes and when we got to the bottom of the hill we couldnt stop. Is this the anti-lock brakes or do I have a problem? This is the first time I have had it in the snow. Garage kept with 70 k miles. I know it getting time for a brake job but is this the way they work?

Old 02-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Default RE: 2001 excursion Brakes

Anti-lock brakes will give a feeling slightly like someone pushing the pedal back at you, that pulsating is normal if what you felt was the anti-lock brakes working. These trucks as well as the superdutys are also famous for warpping the front rotors, which also causes a pulsating feeling through the brake pedal. If you are on the freeway and apply a slight amount aof pressure to the pedal and feel a pulsation, you front rotors are warpped. If you feel no pulsation, I would say that what you felt was you anti-lock brakes doing there job.

If you did warp your rotors, like most do, I would recommend looking into the slotted rotors and pads from www.frozenrotors.com They are much better than anything you will fine at some local autoparts store and provide much better braking performance. I also have yet to hear of someone warpping there rotors.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:38 PM

If you felt a hard vibration in the brake pedal as you pressed down to stop, along with a growling sound, you may have inacted the anti-lock mechanism.

I've never used my 2001 4x4 diesel Excurion in snow, but it will do this on ice too when trying to stop quickly.

I replaced my brake pads all the way around with Performance Friction cera-metalic pads about 45,000 miles ago and they still have plenty of material left on them now. Have 155K miles on the lead sled.

Autozone carries them and they cost a few bucks more but last alot longer than most.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 AM

I have a different problem. I have a 2001 Excursion and I have just replaced the front rotors with heavy duty rotors and NAPA heavy duty lifetime pads. Within 5,000 miles the front rotors are warped AGAIN! Could this be a problem with all the weight and braking going to the fronts and not properly balancing between front and back. I do not brake late and/or hard. I brake normally or if anything slowly, compared to most. If they need adjusting how is this done?