Ford Excursion So the size of the Expedition is not enough for you, then the massive Excursion is the way to go. With options including a powerful diesel engine, the Excursion is like a tractor trailer built for family use.

Engine dies at stop sign

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Default Engine dies at stop sign

My wife was driving the 7.3 diesel, and it died at a stop sign. Started right up and away she went. Nothing happened for a few weeks. Then I drove it, and it did the same thing two times in the same day, about two hours apart on a trip. Each time at a stop sign! Engine was a normal operating temp, oil changed recently, clean filters (air,fuel,oil). It didn,t react like the cam sensor problem, so I'm putting that thought aside. Possible water in fuel? Just tanked up before we left. Any Ideas out there on the problem?
Also the door actuators are starting to not work. At random, they work, sometime one side or the other, or a front and then a rear door might or might not unlock. They always lock though! Are they operated on air pressure or electric? Could they be gummed up? Can they be cleaned up instead of replaced. I would rather do it myself, if possible. Had to tear into the back hatch last year, cause it wouldn't unlock. Nytye fixed the problem there. Too much loose cable, needed to be fastened tight, to move the lock in and out. Anyway 135000+ Working well otherwise, great rig for all I've used it for so far!

Old 11-20-2005, 05:13 AM
Default RE: Engine dies at stop sign

I don't know Dragan, Sounds just like the symptoms my truck had and it was the CPS. Heck my wife had just fueled also. There is a sensor in the system to tell you of water in the fuel. I have been reserching the CPS problem since my first failure. Everybody at the dealership level seams to have there head in the sand. Take a quick look around the other forums. This is a big problem. I even saw a deal going down for a recall. They want people to complain to the NHTSA.gov for a safty recall. That would be nice but when? I just picked a spare up on e-bay for $50.00. Beats a towing bill or being bent over at the dealer.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:21 AM
Default RE: Engine dies at stop sign

I have had the same problem happen with my excursion. I had to bring it into the shop they had to install a new compp sensor, crank sensor, ,ficm wiring harness and ficm. then reprogramed new ficm, pcm, tcm.. cleared all the codes and reset the kam. after all that they road tested it. after having it for 10 days they replaced my 2 batteries and the alternator. saying that the alternator was over charging the betteries. it cost me 681.99 with the warranty.