Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition motor cutting out...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Default 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition motor cutting out...

Here is the deal. I was driving to practice about two weeks ago. While cruising at 70 mph on the freeway the Expedition lost all power for a split second. The motor turned off and then came right by up to RPM's. The dash made a beep noise. On my way home from practice I was accelerating from a stop, right before it shifted the motor cut out again for a split second and then the RPMs jumped right back up. It feels like the tranny is letting go, but it isn't. Car jerks too from the lose of power.

On my way to school that afternoon I was stopped at a light. The light went green and right as I stepped on the gas the car stalled and turned off. I put it in neutral and fired it back up. Fired right up, no problems.

I scanned the car for codes and there are none. Took it to the dealer, they drove it around and claimed they couldn't get it to do it. I told them to keep the car an extra day and drive it. They called back and said they got it to stall once. They said they reprogrammed the computer. If it does it again, bring it in. Well it's still doing it. In the last two weeks it has stalled six times.

I was talking my neighbor who works at a Ford dealership and he said the 5.4 V8's have been known to have problems with the MAF sensors. He told me to replace it and see if that fixed the problem. I replaced the MAF sensor today, went for a drive and it still is cutting out.

Any ideas?

Old 04-04-2007, 04:06 AM
Default RE: 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition motor cutting out...

Full power loss is a major electrical malfunction. Look for a badly grounded battery cable (clean the cables and bettery terminals). That's to start. Next - watch for a bad connection at the starter solenoid.