Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

97' expedition not shifting out of park

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 01:15 PM
Default 97' expedition not shifting out of park

Hello fellow Ford enthusiasts! Recently i have been having this problem with my truck where i will start it, press in the brake, and try to shift out of park but the shifting lever is stuck and wont move. I don't want to take my truck into Ford because i don't have a lot of money on hand to afford a diagnosis and repair. That being said i have come here to see if anyone has encountered a similar problem and has managed to resolve it in a cost effective way. any advice or help will be much appreciated.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:44 AM

A few questions first.
Do the stop lights on the vehicle work?
Have you been able to get it out of park anytime at all? If so , how does the shift lever feel , normal , stiff , difficult to move in all ranges?
The answers to these questions may help point to the problem area.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:04 PM

haven't checked the break lights yet so ill do that. i can get it out of park sometimes but i have to fiddle with it for a while and try different things like starting the car again or pressing the break a couple of times. when it does get unstuck the lever works just fine and smoothly.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:36 PM

i checked and no the brake lights do not turn on when i press in the brake

Old 12-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum..

Of course fuses would be suspect with no brake lights, and always quick check there as a starting point
The 'shift interlock solenoid' operates off of the brake light circuit. If the fuses check out, or, if you have a test light (?) another test point is the brake peddle switch itself.

Its fairly common for the wires that feed the switch to break over time from flexing with peddle movement and create an open/dead wire, or intermittent function. Generally the wire breaks within the insulation and may appear intact. Sometimes a moderate pull on the wire extending into the switch will stretch or cause the wire to separate. Most times when you have no brake lamps, its fuse, switch/ harness issues.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:40 PM
Default Mine is doing the exact same thing

Can someone explain to me what ondo to change shift tube or solinoid also battery is draining pl, help

Old 05-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Default Thank h for responding

Well it started when out of the blue it wouldn't shift out of park then no brake lights and battery is instantly draining 97 expedition xlt

Old 05-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Default ?

Replaced shifter and shifter had a broken.Bracket fixed. also starter relay .change also brand new battery good brake bulbs and had AutoZone test alt said it was good replaced all fuses but there is a constant clicking in relay junction box take out one by one seems to skip to the next relay don't know if it's possible but just seems that way Lso while driving down. The Rd all guGes went to 0 dropped like truck died but I was still driving and pushing the gas and it was driving but eventually died had to get jumped but kept draining battery