Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Any tips for headlight replacement on 05 Expo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Default Any tips for headlight replacement on 05 Expo?

Sadly I wish these were as easy as my 03' explorer (pull-tabs), but doesnt seem to be the case.

Can anyone share any tipsfor removing headlights in 05 expedition?

Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Any tips for headlight replacement on 05 Expo?

Sent you an email..

Old 01-20-2008, 09:22 AM

Ok, got it...

Here's what you need: 10mm socket w/ratchet and 6-8" extension. Shorter extentions will work, but Ford doesn't give you much clearance. Large flathead screwdriver with the tip wrapped in masking tape to prevent scratching.

Start on passenger side if you're doing both headlights. Fordprovides more wiring which means much less diffculties removing and plugging headlight assembly. **The drivers side is a little tight**

Remove two horizontal bolts on top of headlights, then loosen vertical adjuster (located behind each headlight). Keep in mind- the outside of each light has two clips that lock the light in place, so this does require some force.

Once headlight is pushed forward about an inch, you'll notice the headlight can't pass grill-trim without some persuading. The lower portion of the light will have problems passing bumper cover if you push down, which will also scratch paint. **Keep light elevated**Using flathead, push back trim to give yourself clearance (this helps to have an extra set of hands) and continue pulling light straight out. Unplug headlight assembly and replace bulbs.

Abit of a pain compared to Explorers, but thought I could save someonea littleaggravation.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the info.. although it's coming a tad too late! I bought Silverstar Ultras to replace my regular bulbs and my hubby couldn't get the headlight assembly to come out past the grille.. he didn't want to pull too hard and break something because he knew I'd freak out so I just took it to my Ford dealership. They charged me $20 to do it which really isn't bad, but next time I'll share your tips with him! (I just hope it'll work with my new grilles.. I purchased aftermarket chrome ones for the upper and lower grilles.. they look amazing!)

Cheers!