Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

dragging noise from wheels when making turn from stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Default dragging noise from wheels when making turn from stop

i have an 03 Eddie Bauer...when i am starting from a stop and cut the wheels to turn (from parking spot or whatever), there is a loud dragging noise that comes from the wheels....it almost sounds and feels like the tires are low on air and dragging when i make the turn....i actually just put brand new tires on the truck a few weeks back and am constantly checking the air to make sure that the tires are inflated properly and they are...

this is extremely annoying and i could use some suggestions as to what it could be....anyone??

thank you...

Old 01-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Default RE: dragging noise from wheels when making turn from stop

Spyder,

Did you ever get a response on this? I am having the same exact problem, and am trying to figure out what thatnoise is. Thanks.

-Grant

Old 01-05-2009, 01:10 PM

Most likely gentlemen you have a rear differential clutch pack that is slipping do to the fact that both of you may have a limitted slip rear differential. I have been dealing with this scrubbing noise for quite some time. I had it checked by Ford when I noticed the problem under warranty and they could not detect the problem then magically they found the problem just a few days ago when the warranty was well expired. The rebuild would have cost me over $860, but I did a search on the forums here and found that some folks have gone and done a flush of the oil from the axel and replaced it with fresh synthetic with a tube of friction modifier and the problem has subsided. I personally just did this with my 03 Expy and it LESSENED the problem substiantially. Enough for me to not hear the problem all the time. When I absolutely need to have the pumkin rebuilt I will, but not with Ford since they gave me the shaft. Drain the oil in the axel and replace with new then go to a NAPA, O'Rielly's, or compareable and get you some oil friction modifier (I used Kendall). This should run you around $100 or less for the whole thing if you do it yourself or take it to a Jiffy Lube. BTW this problem is all over the forum so just do some searches and you will find that MANY people are having this issue from Ford!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:47 AM

Be careful I had the same problem with my 2000 expedtion and this is the outcome...

pictures: www.jzlim.com/expedition