Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Default Electrical Issue

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition XLT, 4x4. Last year my batterydied and I replace it, a few days later it were dead again. Therefore, I have replacedthe battery, serpentine belt, alternator, and the belt tension. All parts areFord Parts and were new. It work and a year later (today) the battery is drainingagain and I have lost almost all electrical power. In addition, none of the gaugeneedles on the dash moves and “I cannot place it in gear “when I jump start thevehicle. When I give it a jump it will just run but none of the gauges movesand I cannot place it in gear. Why?

Thank you,
Bernard

bclark23324@yahoo.com

Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 AM

The first thing that needs to be done is to confirm if you actually have a drain on the system in which case it would need to be found and corrected. One of the causes could be a battery saver relay and another could be a module that fails to go to sleep or is awakened for some reason.
A second thing you can check would be the wire, a heavy gauge orange wire, that usually runs along the driver's side inner fender well in the engine compartment.
That wire connects to a junction stud and is usually covered by a piece of black plastic cap. That wire supplies all the power to the inside of the vehicle.
They have been known to get corrosion at that junction and were the cause for poor voltage supply to the electrical parts. It is worth to check it out and if not clean and in good condition, clean it and see what you get.
Another thing you can try is to unplug the plugs to the PCM and look for any corrosion or possible water intrusion.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Default Electrical Drain

Good day,

All these fuse does not have power supply them, could you please explain why?

F22 Radio
23 low beam lamp, right
25 low beam lamp, left
27 PAM
28 PCM POWER RELAY, PASSIVE ANTI-THEFT TRANSCEIVER
13 EACT
14 DTR
15 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, TRACTION CONTROL SWITCH
16 ABS CONTROL MODULE
8 EATC
7 RADIO
42 TRAILER TOW CONNECTOR

Originally Posted by hanky
The first thing that needs to be done is to confirm if you actually have a drain on the system in which case it would need to be found and corrected. One of the causes could be a battery saver relay and another could be a module that fails to go to sleep or is awakened for some reason.
A second thing you can check would be the wire, a heavy gauge orange wire, that usually runs along the driver's side inner fender well in the engine compartment.
That wire connects to a junction stud and is usually covered by a piece of black plastic cap. That wire supplies all the power to the inside of the vehicle.
They have been known to get corrosion at that junction and were the cause for poor voltage supply to the electrical parts. It is worth to check it out and if not clean and in good condition, clean it and see what you get.
Another thing you can try is to unplug the plugs to the PCM and look for any corrosion or possible water intrusion.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Good day,

All these fuse does not have power supply them, could you please explain why?

F22 Radio
23 low beam lamp, right
25 low beam lamp, left
27 PAM
28 PCM POWER RELAY, PASSIVE ANTI-THEFT TRANSCEIVER
13 EACT
14 DTR
15 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, TRACTION CONTROL SWITCH
16 ABS CONTROL MODULE
8 EATC
7 RADIO
42 TRAILER TOW CONNECTOR

Old 07-25-2013, 05:27 PM

This may seem like a dumb question, but it appears the fuses you mentioned are fed power when the ignition switch is in the on position. Did you have the key in the on or off position?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Default Electrical issues

Yes, none of the fuse work when the SUV is running. I jumped it and left it running for 10 minutes. In addition, the battery voltage is about 9 volt. I cannot turn on the radio; if I turn on the headlights the SUV will cut off. I heard a clicking noise coming from the fuse panel. The clicking noise comes and goes.

This may seem like a dumb question, but it appears the fuses you mentioned are fed power when the ignition switch is in the on position. Did you have the key in the on or off position?

Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 PM

To the best of your knowledge, has the windshield ever been replaced on this vehicle?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 AM

No, the windshield have never been replace.

To the best of your knowledge, has the windshield ever been replaced on this vehicle?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:05 PM

If you checked the heavy orange wire that comes from the battery and alternator and feeds the fuse and power panels , the only other thing I can think of at the moment is the back of the interior fuse panel may have a poor connection and will need to be removed to confirm the problem.