Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Expedition dies when cold...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Default Expedition dies when cold...

Hey folks, I have a 2000 Expedition that has started to have a weird problem. If the engine is cold and you start the truck, it idles so low that it will just die. The motor will stay running if you put your foot on the gas and keep the rpms up. Once the engine is warmed up a little, it will still idle pretty low (around 500 rpms), but will stay running. Now, the "service engine soon" light is on so I went to Autozone and had the code read. It said "Idle Speed Controller." The guy at Autozone said it could be several different things from the computer to a sensor. From reading some forums online, I have seen that this problem can be cause by the Idle Air Control Valve. Are these two related? Do you think this is what the issue is? If not, what do you think is causing this trouble?

Thanks,
Kyle

Old 12-30-2005, 11:40 PM
Default RE: Expedition dies when cold...

My 99' had the same issue. First, install a new fuel filter and add some good fuel cleaner, I prefer Sea Foam. Next, remove the plastic cover on the throttle body, one that says 5.4l held on by 3 screws. Next, loosen the clamp and remove the duct from the front of the throttle body (the big duct that the air cleaner is on). Now clean the inside of that throttle body with Carb Cleaner with the engine off. Spay until the inside is nice and clean. Should resolve youe problem. The throttle body has all the sensors inside that control the RPM, air, idle, etc., they get all dirty and things go awry. Worked great for me and only took 10 minutes. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:51 PM

My 2000 Expedition had same problem died when cold,etc. I replaced Idle Air Control Valve ($67.00) good as new, Extremely easy to do, 2 small bolts elec. conn. 5 minutes.
IAC valve can sometimes be cleaned, but just a quick fix that won't last.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:51 PM

I put a new IAC valve in it a few weeks ago because of a similar problem. I went ahead and tried changing all the plugs and that did the trick!

Thanks guys,

Kyle