Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

GRINDING NOISE FROM FRONT AXLE WHEEL HUBS ON ACCELERATION IN 2WD

Old 11-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Default GRINDING NOISE FROM FRONT AXLE WHEEL HUBS ON ACCELERATION IN 2WD

Hello everyone. I am having some GRINDING NOISE FROM FRONT AXLE WHEEL HUBS ON ACCELERATION IN 2WD on my 2003 Expedition. My current mileage is aprox 70,000 miles. The grinding noise is only momentarily.

Yesterday I drove my SUV on 4x4 for a couple miles to ensure everything was still working... I have not heard the noise since. I'm wondering if I have some sort of sensor going bad that's momentarily activating the 4x4 while I'm driving....

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Note! I am truly a FordLover and have been for many years....

Old 11-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Default RE: GRINDING NOISE FROM FRONT AXLE WHEEL HUBS ON ACCELERATION IN 2WD

The Expedition continued to make the momentarily grinding noise at low and high speeds.Late yesterday I engaged the All Wheel Drive component of the SUV and it has not done it since. I continue to suspecta sensor of some sort.... My research will continue. However, if someone can provide some feedback, it will be much appreciated...
Thank you,
N-Rod

Old 12-03-2007, 03:35 PM

It has been confirmed. When I engage the All Wheel Drive or 4H, the problems goes away. However, when I put it back on 2 Wheel drive, it tries to engage.... Does anyone know what sensor I need to change?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 PM

My 2001 F-350 does the same thing. I have been riding in 4WD High for months because whenever I ride in 2WD and hit a small bump in the road the grinding noise starts and won't stop until I put it in 4WD.

I replaced the front Hubs today. The 4WD works now but the grinding noise in 2WD did not go away. I have an appointment with the Ford Dealer on Monday and hopefully this issue can be put to rest finally.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 PM

I know exactly the noise of which you speak. Been having the same issue with my '03 Expedition, 67K.

Ford Dealer has my EXP right now and is making the repair. Had it diagnosed the other day by my oil change guy, he drove it around with me until he heard the noise too. Searched the TSB database for "groaning" and found the answer. Check the TSB for "Axle 4x4 Front Axle Noise in 2H Only."(something like that) Ref. # 03-6-4, date of issue 3/31/03.

My "groaning" noise happened when making turns and just coming out of a turn. Only happened on the left side, never on the right. It is an issue in 2H only, doesn't happen in 4WD or All WD.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 PM

The problem was a rusty wheel bearing that had frozen and wore the axle shaft enough to cause some slop in the fit. In 4WD the hub and axle were moving at the same speed so no noise. In 2WD the hub and axle want to move a different speeds and the axle slop allows the axle to touch the hub locking ring and damages the locking hub.

The root cause for me was the vacuum hose going to the automatic locking hubs was broken and it allowed water to get into the hub and rust the wheel bearing.

The parts replaced were the axle shaft, wheel bearing, and locking hub.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:17 PM

I dont know if you have manual hubs or not but in my 250 with manual hubs a piece of plastic broke on one of the lock ins and it was tilted and rubbing against the inner hub.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:29 PM

My 1995 ford ranger hjas a frozen bearing that I can not remove from spindle any advice?

Old 08-30-2016, 02:16 PM

I don't know about advice, but have used a portable grinder to cut the outer race then remove inner bearings and grind the inner race almost down to the spindle then split the race with a chisel and it should come off. You may need to dress up the spindle surface with some fine sandpaper and the replacement bearing should go on without any problem.