Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Help a new member?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Default Help a new member?

Okay so I bought a 99 Eddie Bauer with the 5.4.

I noticed that I have the switch for 4x4 but do not have an indicator on the dashboard. There is no place where 4x4 would even be illuminated. My first thought was to take the dash apart and see if the switch was actually connected to anything, it is.

When I switch to the 4hi or 4lo i dont seem to feel any difference. The truck has 64000 miles on it and I am thinking the guy might have bought a new display because of the odometer issues that these trucks have and the mileage was never set (resulting in such low miles, would it start at zero if a new instrument was installed?)

Oh and the odometer also went out on me and then back on.

How can I tell if this truck is 4x4 or not?

Any ideas.

Thanks

Old 10-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Okay it is def a 4x4 here is the issue. When I turn the key to on I see low range. When I start the vehicle I see the low range and the 4x4 lit up. If I attempt to put it in 4hi it does not light up. When I put it in N and try 4L it does not light up. I am worried that I am always in 4wd and dont know it because I feel no difference when I put in 4hi or that I do not have 4wd. Please help

Additionally in the rear of the vehicle near the sub woofer there are two hoses and they seem very hot to me after driving around???? Is this an issue. Thank you guys and gals in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Help a new member?-photo.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 05:19 PM

In the pix it appears to be A/C components.
Welcome to the site.
If your vehicle is locked into 4 wheel drive, you will usually feel some chattering from the front tires when turning on dry pavement. That's why they suggest to use 4 wheel drive only when driving on slippery surfaces.
It is going to require someone to start from scratch and make sure the switch is functioning correctly then follow through to see if the transfer case is responding to the desired switch position selected.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:49 PM

Thank you. Is there anything you think I could try. For instance I think that the switch was disconnected when an aftermarket stereo was put it. Could it have screwed with it so maybe disconnect the switch then the battery and then plug switch back in and connect battery terminal? T case motor maybe???? ugh!!!! fuses???

Old 10-20-2012, 06:59 PM

It doesn't pay to get all worried about what is wrong. The procedure I would choose is to confirm I have power to the switch. For this you can use a test lite or multimeter.
Then if you do have power there it would tell you the fuse for the switch power is OK.
Then move the switch to each of the positions and make sure a different wire gets power with each different switch position.
From there you can check the plug at the transfer case to see if there is power going to the transfer case motor. If that checks out OK then make sure the motor responds when you change switch positions. If you get that far let me know what you found.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:34 PM

Thank you I will start on it tomorrow morning sounds like a plan.