Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Remote Start 2004 Expedition - check key sense wire polarity

Old 10-19-2012, 02:54 AM
Exclamation Remote Start 2004 Expedition - check key sense wire polarity

Ok, today i installed the system and made sure all wires conected correctly.
Unfortunately, when i press start engine button, the ignition turn on then off and I receive 2 horn honks,

when i read the troubleshooting guide it says.
- Check Key Sense wire connection.
- Check Key Sense wire polarity in programming.

The question is, how can i check Key Sense wire polarity in programming.?
or what should i do exactly?

is it fuse position change?

The first point i am sure about the connection, but the second point how can do that?
thanks all,

Old 10-19-2012, 02:57 AM

some other topic it says,
On cerian vehiclss you might have to change the polarity on this wire in programming.

How to do that?

Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Key in Sense polarity is generally done in one of the programming banks. (Although some models are done in fuse placement) RMST would be Bank 2

Programming changes are done with the harness programming button/key fob-transmitter and changes are noted with the LED light as(on/off)

What level kit did you install? Just RMST, or RKE/VSS etc. (remote key/entry-vehicle security).. Looks like a RMST kit..

Key in sense wire on the module (black/white) should have been connected to the black/pink on the steering column. Key in Sense input is a positive circuit. The 'default' sense in the remote module is set to neg..

Last edited by Hayapower; 10-19-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Key in Sense polarity is generally done in one of the programming banks. (Although some models are done in fuse placement) Programming changes are done with the harness pogramming button and changes are noted with the LED light (on/off)

What level kit did you install? Just RMST, or RKE/VSS etc. (remote key/entry-vehicle security).. Looks like a RMST kit..

Key in sense wire on the module (black/white) should have been connected to the black/pink on the steering column. Key in Sense input is a positive circuit. The 'default' sense in the remote module is set to neg..
Yes i insatlled RMST wires only, as per the attachments diagram, to be frank, i coudnlt find the cable (Black/Pink) on the steering column but i found it also near to the ignition switch harness.

Is this could be the problem?

For the fuses, i just connected according to the second attachement for Expedition 2004.

You just mentioned that:
1. polarity is generally done in one of the programming banks, How can i get into the programming bank?
2. some models are done in fuse placement, do you have any reference?
3. Programming changes are done with the harness pogramming button and changes are noted with the LED light (on/off). how can i do that?

Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails Remote Start 2004 Expedition - check key sense wire polarity-rmst.jpg   Remote Start 2004 Expedition - check key sense wire polarity-fuse.jpg  
Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 AM

How can i do programming to get in Bank 2?

Attached Thumbnails Remote Start 2004 Expedition - check key sense wire polarity-rmst-bank.jpg  
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 AM

Attached the Remote start troubleshppting guide.

Attached Files
Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

First off, if its a RMST only it should only have a '2 button' fob/transmitter.. Not a 4 button correct? 2 is what you have?

To change the programming, and during your install,, you should have mounted (or seen) a small button style switch (chrome with a black tip) taped to harmess (usually around the RMST module. In the kit there should have been a LED light and pigtail.

Were they installed?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

If your getting 2 horn chirps, it sounds like the the polarity just needs to be changed. 2004 Exp. is a + and the module's default is -. You can also change the engine run time etc. from 10 to 15 minutes if needed.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
First off, if its a RMST only it should only have a '2 button' fob/transmitter.. Not a 4 button correct? 2 is what you have?

To change the programming, and during your install,, you should have mounted (or seen) a small button style switch (chrome with a black tip) taped to harmess (usually around the RMST module. In the kit there should have been a LED light and pigtail.

Were they installed?
Actually, it came with 4 buttins remote control

For the LED light and the small button style switch (chrome with a black tip) which is "programming/override button", YES these 2 have been installed corectly to the module.

But when i press the programming/ override button, nothing happend.

Is this mean i should connect the module RKE/VSS/RMST?
Or just RMST is enough?

Attached Thumbnails Remote Start 2004 Expedition - check key sense wire polarity-key.jpg  
Old 10-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

OK,,

HOLD the overide button IN 'with your foot on the brake' (door closed) and turn the ignition ON (no need to start) after 10 seconds you will/should hear 3 horn chirps.. (you can relaese the brake after entering programming)

EACH TIME you push the overide button will advance a bank.. Bank 1 is 4 horn chirps..

'Count' the horn chirps to make sure your on the correct bank. You can always cycle back through if you mis count. (its not timed)

On a 4 button transmitter (with the key ring slot at the bottom) you only use buttons 1 and 3 (1 on the top (left),, 3 on the bottom (left)

Botton 1 will advance to the next option (once your in the correct bank using the overide) and button 3 will turn ON/OFF the selected option

RMST/RKE?VSS has more Banks or levels than just RMST...

The key in Sense is on Bank 5 (8 chirps of the horn) ...

After the 8 chirps,, you'll select option 3 pressing the 1 button (you'll hear 1 chirp, so next 2 and then 3), and button 3 to cycle the LED to ON..

Tun the key off.. If it still gives you a sense chirp, re enter programming and check to see if it saved your selection.. If not, trry leaving you foot on the brake until programming is complete and key cycled Off..

If you press the wrong buttons you may hear '4' chirps,, that the module indicating you set the system back to default settings.. You'd need to re program if this happens..

Last edited by Hayapower; 10-19-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Start 2004 Expedition - check key sense wire polarity