Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Remote Start 2004 Expedition - check key sense wire polarity

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:45 PM

When i HOLD the overide button IN 'with foot on the brake' (door closed) and turn the ignition ON, nothing happend, i can't hear anything.

Anyhow, i have a different issue now, when i insert the key inside the ignition cylinder, the engine start with no problems at all, also when i press the start button again, the enigne turned off.

but if remove the key from the cylinder, again i hear 2 horn.
Any suggestions?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Think the Expedition is a positive door ajar switch,

in that case to enter/remain in programming mode the drivers door should be open. When you press the overide, ignition on, make sure to wait the 10 seconds for the 3 chirps..

Negative door switches,, door closed for programming...

Lets see if you can get into program mode before the other issues.. Just 2 horn chirps on the key removal, no security/pats light.. No dash lights?

Old 10-20-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Think the Expedition is a positive door ajar switch,

in that case to enter/remain in programming mode the drivers door should be open. When you press the overide, ignition on, make sure to wait the 10 seconds for the 3 chirps..

Negative door switches,, door closed for programming...

Lets see if you can get into program mode before the other issues.. Just 2 horn chirps on the key removal, no security/pats light.. No dash lights?
Hi, it's me again.
Thank you so much for your time.

It seems that i am having a problem getting into the programming mode.
I have tried all over, any suggetions?

Old 10-20-2012, 06:41 AM

Should the system be on the service mode or normal mode?
and should i try to get into the programming mode, while the led blinking?
should i arm or disarm the system first?

there is something else, when i press the button no. 1 and 2, the led keep blinking twice per sec. "i think this is the service mode", what is the next step? or what should i do after that?

Old 10-20-2012, 02:56 PM

Do you think this is something releated to the fuse placement?

Old 10-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Fuse placement is determined per model,,, like Superduty is different than Expedition etc. Level of RMST function like VSS and RKE doesn't change the fuse arrangments.

Programming is done in standard mode, not valet-service.. Trying to remote start in service should give you 6 horn chirps indicating the mode. Entering service is done by hold the programming button in and starting the truck. Programming is done with just the ignition in the ON position.

Not sure why the LED is flashing, is the Anti theft flashing as well?

But without being able to get into programming, you can't have the RMST module 'learn' the remote transmitters and/or make bank/option changes..

Did you try and do the PATS interface key programming? Both chipped/programmed keys are needed..

Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 AM

The problem is that i can't get into the porgramming mode.

On the troubleshooting guide mentioned:

if System will not go into programming,
1. Check for 12v positive and good ground at the module.
This one looks ok.

2. Check the connection on the A-20 green/violet wire, On certian vehicles you might have to change the polarity on this wire in programming.
So, back to same point "POLARITY"

3. Check the connection on the A-7 pink wire. make sure it has 12v in key on and run position.
I haven't try this one.

4. Check the override/programming button.
been tested, working ok.

5. Check the connection on the B-7 brown wire.
This one for a different module.

Any advice?

Is there any other way to get into the programming mode?
Is it necessary to hold the brake pedal?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

There's not that many connections for RMST.. Whats the kit part number your installing?

If your trying to partially install a higher level kit as a RMST only, then you may have missed the brake input that would cycle and allow it to go into programming.. May be a better bet to do a complete install..

To enter pogramming, the door needs to be open, press and hold the brake peddle down, turn the key to ON,,, press and hold the overide,, after 10 seconds holding the button in you should hear the 3 chirps,, after the 3 chirps you release the brake peddle and button..

The door ajar polarity is only changed during programming..

Old 10-21-2012, 12:35 PM

There's not that many connections for RMST.. Whats the kit part number your installing?

If your trying to partially install a higher level kit as a RMST only, then you may have missed the brake input that would cycle and allow it to go into programming.. May be a better bet to do a complete install..

To enter pogramming, the door needs to be open, press and hold the brake peddle down, turn the key to ON,,, press and hold the overide,, after 10 seconds holding the button in you should hear the 3 chirps,, after the 3 chirps you release the brake peddle and button..

I think i knew where the problem is.

While reading the toubleshooting guide regarding not go into programming, it says check the wire:
A-20 green/violet
A-9 brown
A-11 White/Blue
A-12 Light Green

These 4 wires were not connected according to RMST diagram.
I need to re-connect them according to VSS diagram.
I will check and come back.

Last edited by moto4; 10-21-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:26 AM

I was able to solve the problem, the system is working perfect.

The problem was with the wire A-20, should be connected.
I get the remote start feature working by changing the Key-in-sense input polarity to positive.

It is ok now.

Thank you so much for your help.

Quick Reply: Remote Start 2004 Expedition - check key sense wire polarity