Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Remote Start COLD 2008 Expedition emergencyehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Default Remote Start a COLD 2008 Expedition emergencyehicle?

In sub-zero temperatures, our garage is ice-cold at 4 a.m.

When an emergency medical call comes in, it would be best to immediately start the engine as I get out of bed before using the bathroom and getting dressed.
(A hose would connect to the exhaust and run outside.)

That way, the Expedition has a little more time to get the motor oil and transmission fluids circulating before I get in.
Soon it will traveling at 60 to 80+ mph while everything is still cold.

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-28-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:05 AM

A CO monitor should be used with this kind of set-up as I'm sure you already know.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:09 PM

what about keeping the block heater plugged in.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 AM

Does ford put a thermister in the block heater cord?

Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by primem
what about keeping the block heater plugged in.
This Expedition does not have a block heater.

Ford wants $55 for theating element which attaches to the engine block and $150 for the cord which connects to it.

We have many outdoor floodlight bulbs.
99% of energy from incandescent bulbs is heat.
I am considering shinning one up at the engine,
another up at the transmission and other up at the differential.

Wal-mart has a $50 remote starter. Any good?

Thank you.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Gift
Wal-mart has a $50 remote starter. Any good?

Thank you.
How much for install?
You realize this will most likely make the antitheft system basically non-functional. Anyone with a mechanical key cut, but not registered, could start the vehicle and drive away.

Do they have a factory remote start option?

Last edited by primem; 01-27-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by primem
How much for install?
You realize this will most likely make the antitheft system basically non-functional. Anyone with a mechanical key cut, but not registered, could start the vehicle and drive away.

Do they have a factory remote start option?
Thank you.
I would install it myself.

No, I did not know that it may defeat the antitheft system. Thanks for informing abouthat. I do not like that at all.

Yes, Ford has a system, but it's $300.
Can't afford that.

Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-28-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 PM

A full synthetic oil is always a good place to start. If you have a way to set up one 150 watt flood lamp under the engine not too close to anything, it should give you an idea if the procedure will give the desired result. Another positive ,you will be able to see your way to the vehicle in the dark before having to remove the lamp once ready to start it.
Just make sure nothing gets close to that lamp because they do get hot.
Let us know how that works out for you. If a 150 watt gets too hot try a lower wattage lamp like maybe a 75 watt flood/spot lamp.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Default Responding hot

If you want to keep your truck ready to respond try using block heater and a magnetic heaters on the trans.... if you can find something magnetic on the trans. Try an industrial equipment dealer( backhoe/skid steer) for an adhesive backed mat heater that might work. Heat lamps will lose too much heat to be effective.
Remote starter is a great idea.... will cool in summer also.
Unless your neighbors are the mile markers on I-80, you won't be doing 60-80 immediately. Slowly ramp up your speeds. Remember, if you don't get to the scene, you can't help.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

A Ford RMST wouldn't disable PATS, and unless the key is installed and the ignition turn to RUN, if the brake is 'touched' while in RMST mode (key in OFF position) it will kill the engine as a safety precaution. When the RMST is activated the trucks doors will lock as well.

So, you get a call,,, hit the RMST button and its run'n while your getting ready. You (or anyone with a PATS key) hits the remote entry, hops in and inserts the key and turn the switch to Run, RMST is now deactivated. The later Ford RMST kits 07- are pretty easy to install with basic knowledge and tools. I have the install instruction/guides if needed. Earlier kits required much more wire connection. The later kits have a Y harness that plugs in between the ignition switch and the harness plug that used to plug into the switch. A few wire connections. A PATS antenna/transmitter is part of the kit and sends the PATS signal to the module so it can start the truck without a key present. I

Heater controls (or A/C) can be set so its warm inside as well when you jump in.

Block/pan/trans heaters would work too and have a purpose. Could do both or either..

Quick Reply: Remote Start COLD 2008 Expedition emergencyehicle?