Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

steering column/turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Default steering column/turn signals

Ok, this is in regards to the turn signal problem i am having with them not working on my 1999 E/B. Seems it only happens when my wife uses the truck..reason being is that she moves the tilt wheel...
Moving the tilt wheel down makes the turn signals stop working??..somebody suggested that i replace the multifunction switch, does everyone agree, and is this a do-it yourself project??
Thanks........Ed

Old 02-21-2006, 02:28 AM
Default RE: steering column/turn signals

I have the same problem, however, if your problem is connected to the tilt of the steering wheel, I would say it is probably the multifunction switch, or a chaffed wire. I am going to check/change the instrument panel indicator bulb tomorrow and see what happens. I will let you know the outcome....Cheers

Old 02-22-2006, 02:36 AM

Well, the bulb seemed to be good, and the flasher seems to be good, so I think my problem is in the multifunction switch. There is a check to perform on the switch, but you have to access the switch to accomplish this task. The task will require steering wheel removal which involves air bag safety. Only do it if you feel comfortable I guess would be the answer.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:58 PM

I've replaced many multi-functon switches and can tell you that you do not have to pull the steering wheel. You remove the upper and lower column shrouds. Get the tilt lever out of the way. Turns out like a screw counterclockwise with some force initially. You have to put the lever back in once the lower shroud is out so you can tilt the wheel back down to remove the upper shroud. There are 2 torx bolts (t-15?, t-20?) holding the switch on. Remove the bolts. Unplug the connectors carefully, no yanking. Use a small screwdriver to release the locking tabs.

Since you said tilting the wheel causes something to go foul, I'd also take a good look at the wiring up to the switch. It's possible that the steering wheel tilt has caused some chafing to a wire.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:10 AM

check the wires going into the multifunction switch get alot lately that wires pulling out

Old 02-24-2006, 09:00 PM

Thank you for all the advice, and how to get it apart!!, i was going to take it to the dealer, but with the advice from frdteko5 i will try it myself!!....I will let you know what i find....