Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

1996 Exploder no illumination lights in cluster..??

Old 02-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Default 1996 Exploder no illumination lights in cluster..??

1996 Exploder no illumination lights in cluster..??

the ABS light is on (another problem)

the check engine light is on (another problem)

But, there are no illumination lights working in the dash cluster what so ever...

When I look at the owners manual at the fuse panel layout, I cannot find anything that would specifically lead me to believe that said fuse would go to the illumination lights for the cluster...

I did find one that was for dimmer, and it seems to be working since when the dimmer is moved, the display on the radio dims.....but still no light in the cluster...

Any possibilities before I pull the cluster out?

Also, the map ? lights in the overhead console do nothing either, the overhead display seems to be working fine, but, pushing the buttons on either side for light, does nothing...???

TIA

Old 02-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Default RE: 1996 Exploder no illumination lights in cluster..??

UPDATE>>>>>

I tore half the dash apart to get to the dimmer and headlight switch.

(BTW, vatozone and the like call your blinker/multifunction switch, the dimmer switch, they call the dimmer switch, the rheostat on the dash to 'dim' the instrument lights, the instrument cluster something or other. now what the blinker/multifunction switch dims, I have no idea, so not sure why they call it a dimmer...???)

Anyway, I get to the switch, pull out that bezel, remove the switches from the bezel, start poking around with a meter, and all I could figure was that there is a red with black tracer wire coming out of the rheostat that did not budge no matter if you had the key in or out, forward or backward, rheostat this way or that way...so, I jumped it to a known positive, viola! lights....

So I removed the rheostat and went inside to see how much the damage would be for one of these via the internet/parts houses web pages....this is when I found out that vatozone and the like do not call this a dimmer switch, and they want like $132 for a new one...WTF?

So I dug around on flebay, found a bezel that is the same color as my interior, with a dimmer and headlight switch for $45 shipped...purchased it, then as I was talking with the wife, I was telling her I am tempted to tear into said switch....just at this point I was looking it over to figure out how to crack it open and noticed there were screws holding it together... So, took it to my desk, cracked it open, when I got it pulled all the way apart, I noticed that there were two amplifier chips that had three legs, all of which, the solder had cracked loose...I then cranked up the old soldering iron, soldered them back in place, put it back together, went back out the the exploder, installed it, BINGO!, dash lights!!!!

So, now it seems as though I will now have a spare dimmer switch, and bezel, and, well, as I got everything to work, the one thing that did not was the bulb for the headlight switch...no illumi...you can easily remove said light, but not sure it is a service part even though it unscrews...calling the ford parts house today...

Now, on to the next situation...ABS light on all the time....