Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Choking on Cold startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Default 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Choking on Cold startup

Hello everybody. I new to this. I have been having problems with my Ford explorer sport lately. It seems to have a lot of trouble starting in cold mornings. It seems like it wants to stall and the truck makes a noise where it is starving for air. It shakes alot and the engine seems to rev up and down. It has like 70,000 miles on it. I just replaced the the spark plugs, the spark plug wire, the iac valve, and put in a K&N air filter. Also I changed the oil and oil filter. Nothing seems to solve the problem. It only happens in cold weather. Once it warms it the truck runs like a champ. It only seems like its choking for air on startup during cold weather. There is no check engine light and when I went to pull the codes on the OBD its passes everything. No codes at all. Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance

Old 11-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Default RE: 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Choking on Cold startup

If you can scan real time data with your OBD2 scanner, go into datastream when cold and see what the coolant temperature sensor says the temperature of coolant is. If it says coolant is anything but outside temp it will hinder fuel delivery when started up. Could also be mass air flow sensor, possible thermostat.