Ford Excursion So the size of the Expedition is not enough for you, then the massive Excursion is the way to go. With options including a powerful diesel engine, the Excursion is like a tractor trailer built for family use.

V10 rough choking on cold starts only

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Default V10 rough choking on cold starts only

I have a 2000 with V10 and 75,000 miles and it has been running great. A couple weeks ago I went to start it in the morning and the temperature was in the 50's and I noticed it was having a hard timeduring the engine warmup. It started fine and sounded fine for about a minute. Then the RPM dropped and started to get sporadic and the engine started to sputter and I noticed intense gasoline smell from exhaust as I happened to be walking by exhaust. I tried driving through it one time and the engine had low power(I assume because of therich fuel mixture based on the excesive smell of fuel from exhaust).After a few minutes when the engine warms up and the water temperature starts to climb the engine smooths out and everything is fine after that. Exhaust smells normal after warm up as well.All driving and starting for the rest of the day is back to normal. It appears to only be a choking issue when the engine is cold. Sincethis issuestarted it does the same thing every time if it's cold and the engine is cold. Any ideas what to check?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Default RE: V10 rough choking on cold starts only

I started having the same problem about that mileage, I notice it more on rainy cold mornings. Some times it clears out others my neighbor mechanic comes over and replaces some $80 sensor. Once was due to water in the gas. I have had it happen7-10 times in the last 6 years.

Ironically it happened today in factwith my wifedriving, rainy about 55 degreessputtered out on the road a half mile from my mechanics garage. I'll let you know what it is this time when he calls me.

Other than this quirk it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I've been looking for a used diesel one since they don't make them any more.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Default RE: V10 rough choking on cold starts only

Try carb cleaner on throttle body worked for me