Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2002 Long crank before starting when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Default 2002 Long crank before starting when cold

I have a 2002 Explorer Limited. I'm up to 104,000 miles. I've kept up on all servicing through dealer throughout.

Lately, when cold, the engine takes quite a while to start. I live in a warm climate so the temperature is not really an issue. On average, I'm talking at least 4 or 5 seconds for the engine to start up. Once it is started, no problem, running well. The problem has just started in the last 5,000 miles. I had the spark plugs changed (for the first time) and a new batteryand this didn't help.

I've taken it to the dealer and to an independant, and they both said no apparent problem. Plenty of juice, and it's getting to the starter quickly. Error message says, "check charging system". In the end, the independant (who did a cold test) said that this happens sometimes with a high mileage engine.

Any suggestions?? John

Old 01-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Default RE: 2002 Long crank before starting when cold

Check out this thread from over at the Ranger forum:

https://www.fordforum.com/m_18829/tm.htm

I would suggest that you have a fuel bleed-down problem in your fuel manifold. There are other possibilities, but I would start there. Your manifold (the fuel lines between the tank and each injector) should maintain pressure to allow for quick starting. Heres a quick check to see if this is the case...First thing in the morning turn the key on without starting. Make sure you hear the pump running for up to 2 seconds. Turn the key off, and repeat 2 or 3 times. This should re-pressurize your manifold.Then try to start. If it starts right up, this is indeed your problem. Fuel is either returning to the tank via the return line from your fuel pressure regulator, or reverse flowing back through your pump. Also, you could have an injector leaking into the cylinder. Check oil for fuel contamination. One more possibility is an external leak, but you'd likely smell a strong gas odor. Hope this helps.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Default RE: 2002 Long crank before starting when cold

Thank you so much!! I tried the test you recommended and the engine started up while cold. I'll be taking the truck in to the mechanic along with your diagnosis. John