Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2003 Explorer 4.0 SOHC Upper Intake Removal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Default 2003 Explorer 4.0 SOHC Upper Intake Removal Problem

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get this Upper Intake loose, I have 7 of the torx bolts loose, I dropped my torx bit and luckly they also have the hex head on them, I believe its 3/8". I used an extension and pretty sure I've turned the bolt enough times where it should move enough (be loose), I haven't disconnected the EGR tube from the EGR yet, but it acts like that rear bolt is still holding the upper intake.

I tried looking up youtube videos but all of them are different years of the 4.0 and the upper intakes look a little different from mine and were no help. Some said they drilled a hole in the firewall to get to the rear one, I don't have a problem getting to it but it seems like the bolt is just spinning but not all the way out or something.. I dont know..

There aren't any braces or anything toward the driver side are they to stabilize the intake on that end?

Old 04-28-2016, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Only the 8 bolts.

Might try and see if the last bolt will re tighten. If not, it could be stripped and not backing all the way out. Or, you haven't backed it out far enough to clear the threads. Once you remove the EGR tube, you'll position the manifold to get access to the EGR vacuum regulator,EVR solenoid. Once all the outboard hose connections, cables, connectors are removed..

Old 05-17-2016, 07:06 AM
Default There are 8 bolts

Just did it over the weekend - there are 8 bolts. (Not 7!)

Old 05-17-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Two fords
Just did it over the weekend - there are 8 bolts. (Not 7!)
Yeah, I know, the 8th one is giving me problems, I haven't got back to trying to get it off, I was able to rig a magnet on a coathanger and get my torx bit that I had dropped, I thought about trying to do it again applying upward pressure while using the torx and see if any threads grab and back it out, I can't see how someone was so careless to strip the bolt to begin with.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:14 AM

Check out This may be you find something !!

Old 05-19-2016, 10:57 AM

Yeah, I seen that video, it wasn't helpful the first time I seen it..lol, Here is a bolt diagram that I marked the one I'm having problems with in green, its down on the back side and the cowl makes it hard to get too, problem is its apparently stripped, Since its sunny I may work on it again, I've never had a problem like this before on anything else, I wish there was a way to remove the cowl for better access but it doesn't appear you can on this explorer. Stupid Ford designs.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Explorer 4.0 SOHC Upper Intake Removal Problem-2010-03-03_033136_int.gif  

Last edited by mcasdorph; 05-19-2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Sorry forgot to attach image
Old 05-19-2016, 01:00 PM

Well its seem confused. I don't know what to do now. May be someone ??

Old 05-24-2016, 12:45 PM

Well I got it out, the last bolt was not stripped as far as the threads go, it was stripped on the head and the socket just spun, when I was able to get my torx bit I tried with that and got it to run out and off.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Good news..

Old 09-08-2018, 09:14 PM
Default 05 ford explorer 4.0 sohc inake removal

I stripped out to of the torx bolts trying to get them out got 5 loose with no problem but stripped 2 out and cant seem to find the 8th one out. Also broke a torx bit as well theyre just really tight in therr has anyone else have this problem or suggestions???

Quick Reply: 2003 Explorer 4.0 SOHC Upper Intake Removal Problem