Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2003 Ford Explorer A/C clutch will not engage

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by stuart40ca
If so did the compressor start when refrigerant was entered or was the system bypassed?

If it was bypassed how did whomever know if it was working correctly?

Or was it charged with a can of WallyWorld crap and no pressures taken?
NO i had it charged by a shop with gauges, it was vac down and the pressures and vent temperature were taken, if that was the problem when i jump the low psi switch the compressor should run anyway and it didnt

Old 08-24-2010, 03:23 PM

Are you jumping the switch or connector?

Old 08-24-2010, 05:58 PM

Are you jumping the switch or connector?
I am jumping the connector, it should bypass the switch if it is faulty and let the compressor come on shouldnt it

Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 PM

The wiring diagrams attached in recent post show an ac clutch solenoid, not sure if this is another relay type switch located somewhere or if it is the plug and clutch on the compressor itself.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:22 PM

The print is too small for me to read even if I made the image larger. If possible could you just draw the components from the A/C clutch coil up or back to where it gets its power?
Thanks, hanky

Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
The print is too small for me to read even if I made the image larger. If possible could you just draw the components from the A/C clutch coil up or back to where it gets its power?
Thanks, hanky
It is alot to draw, i will email them to you if you would like to take a look. My email is Hntr300wsm@yahoo.com if you wanna send me an email address so i can send them to you. This way you can open them and zoom in, or if you copy the image from post then paste it to your documents you can open it and zoom as much as you want when it opens with windows picture and fax veiwer. Thanks

Last edited by iwhntrf150; 08-25-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:25 AM

My 2-3 cents worth of pondering...

Couple of questions...

1. Why was the compressor replaced?
2. (a) If the compressor was replaced due to "BLACK DEATH", was the dryer/accummulator replaced (should be replaced any time that a system is opened)?
(b) Was the orifice replaced (If BLACK DEATH, it should have been)?
(c) Was the condensor replaced (If BLACk DEATH, it should have as these are NON-FLUSHABLE)?
(d) Was the evaporator flushed (If BLACK DEATH, it should have been)?
3. How is it that the "SHOP" was able to make your A/C system work to properly charge the system and take pressure readings, but when you get the vehicle it isn't working correctly?

If your compressor was replaced due to "BLACK DEATH" or the compressor just grenading and the condensor and orifice wasn't replaced, it's most likely that the orifice is plugged causing excessive high pressure causing the compressor to stay disengaged. Thus, forcing the compressor to RUN by hard-wiring it, will just cause the replacement unit to fail due to oil starvation.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Default Wally World

If so did the compressor start when refrigerant was entered or was the system bypassed?

If it was bypassed how did whomever know if it was working correctly?

Or was it charged with a can of WallyWorld crap and no pressures taken?
Could you please be more specific wrt what might be wrong with using the product purchased at my local Walmart?

Thanks.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:41 AM

"Could you please be more specific wrt what might be wrong with using the product purchased at my local Walmart?"

Just a short explanation...Well, most everything that they sell at Walmart has sealers and/or oil charge in them. Too much liquid running thru the system will liquid lock the compressor. And will continue to do so until it is flushed out of the system and a proper oil charge put in. Too much refrigerant will also do the same thing.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:53 AM

This thread is 7 years old. Surely to goodness the system has been repaired.

Quick Reply: 2003 Ford Explorer A/C clutch will not engage