Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2010 Ford Explorer Limited

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Default 2010 Ford Explorer Limited

Why I was driving I came to a slowed down to a traffic light when I went to accelerate my ABS light came on bells and whistles one-off saying servicenow service now. When I went to accelerate RPMs going up but the speed did not all I could do is take my foot off the brake and just drift into a parking lot and park my car I don't know what is wrong with it I don't know why the ABS light is on can anybody help me with this. I've changed the brakes I've changed my calipers I'm in the middle of cleaning my abs wheel sensors any other things I could possibly do or any reason why this is happening

Old 07-11-2019, 01:15 PM

No offense intended, but every time someone works on their brakes on a late model vehicle scares me because you ABSOLUTELY need to know what you are doing.
You replaced calipers, but how did you get all the air out of the brake lines without a scan tool to open the valves in the ABS hydraulic control unit?
If that was done , great, if not , I believe you are going to need some expert help. A scan tool will tell you which wheel or other part of the system is not working or not working right..The days of the backyard brake job are just about gone.I really do not know of any way I could offer any helpful suggestions except have a qualified shop check the vehicle and please don't drive it if the brakes are in any way questionable..

Old 07-11-2019, 01:40 PM

no offense taken. All I can tell you at this point is that my husband changed my brakes, change calibers, and put new brake lines on. When he was done he had me going and push on the brake pedal he did some tweaking had me push the pedal again did more tweaking and so forth brakes are fine. I did have a mechanic come yesterday to my home who brought with him a OBD2 reader with abs coding and that code said that my wheel sensor was bad unfortunately it did not tell him which one. So he went ahead and took off my driver side front tire took the sensor off cleaned it out and put it back on my control stability light the little icon with the vehicle with squiggly lines under it that went out. He is coming today to do the passenger front side fingers crossed praying to God

Old 07-11-2019, 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=Alice Webb;114226]no offense taken. All I can tell you at this point is that my husband changed my brakes, change calibers, and put new brake lines on. When he was done he had me going and push on the brake pedal he did some tweaking had me push the pedal again did more tweaking and so forth brakes are fine. I did have a mechanic come yesterday to my home who brought with him a OBD2 reader with abs coding and that code said that my wheel sensor was bad unfortunately it did not tell him which one. So he went ahead and took off my driver side front tire took the sensor off cleaned it out and put it back on my control stability light the little icon with the vehicle with squiggly lines under it that went out. He is coming today to do the passenger front side fingers crossed praying to God that, that fixes the problem and the ABS light goes off. If not then I'll have no choice but to have it towed to a shop. Someone said it could be the train case?? The truck makes no noises. It just feels as I'm holding my brake and trying to accelerate which it will accelerate it just doesn't go anywhere unless you take your foot off the brake and just dwift. Someone said if this doesn't work then it could be the train casing but my truck is not making any type of noise nor is leaking any type of fluids.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:03 PM

I believe you are referring to the transfer case which involves four wheel drive.

It is probably best to see what your mechanic comes up with. No need to add more fuel to the fire, you have enough problems. At least no one was hurt and it can be fixed !

Old 07-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Default 2010 Ford Explorer

The mechanic has cleaned the sensors and took my truck for a test drive. Still having the same issue as before where it feels as though I'm holding the brake pedal and my truck won't drive. If you let off the gas pedal the truck will drift with no problems. It's when you try to give it gas that it feels like the front brakes are being held. ABS light still on as well. Any other ideas as what it could be. The mechanic is scratching his head.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:21 PM

I wish I could help you folks, but without actually checking everything done and seeing it ,not to easy.

Do you know if the mechanic was able to bleed the front brakes with the use of a scan tool and make sure the hydraulic control unit was free of trapped air?

Also, if the ABS light is still on, there should be a code to provide some direction. Do you know if he was able to get the code(s) ?

I don't know if this will work, but in your owner's manual in the specification section you should find the diagram of the fuse panel and what each fuse protects.
Look for the fuse that is for the ABS system and remove it. Try moving the vehicle now and see if there is any difference, if OK at least you might be able to drive it carefully to a shop that can straighten it out.

Last edited by hanky; 07-12-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:59 PM

Thanks Hanky. Yes brake bleeding was done correctly. Although the problem was happening before new brakes and lines were put on. Will try to remove the ABS fuse and see what happens. Unfortunately for us we live in a small town. Not a lot of mechanics in the area that could work on bigger issues then your minor repairs. I do appreciate your input and help. I'll let you know what happens when we pull the ABS fuse.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:08 AM

There is always a surprise up the road.
I should have inquired if the problem was present before the work was done and I didn't,,,so,,,,,,,,, The only thing I can still stay with is the need to go after why the ABS lite came on? AND, there may be more surprises .