Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2014 Explorer Limited 4 Cyl Turbo - P0088, P0300

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 03:36 PM
Default 2014 Explorer Limited 4 Cyl Turbo - P0088, P0300

Hi everyone,

Looking for some help diagnosing an issue with a 2014 Limited 4 cylinder with about 80k miles.

It’s started running rough, hesitation/jerky, mostly upon acceleration. We also noticed a bit of an exhaust smell when the cabin fan was on while idling at stop lights. The vehicle is otherwise nearly new and hasn’t had prior problems.

CEL came on and codes P0088, P0300, P0302, P0303 and P219A are stored.

Given the misfire codes, I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs since it was easy, but seems to have made no impact.

I’m not sure how to test P0088 - fuel rail bank 1 pressure too high.

I’ve read a number of sites that seem to point in a half dozen different directions; replace fuel injectors, replace coils, replace MAF, possible catalytic converter issue.

For what it’s worth, I had similar symptoms about 6 months ago. I ran a bottle of fuel cleaner through and it seemed to go away.

What’s the most logical troubleshooting progression given common failures?

Thanks for your advice!

Old 05-26-2019, 07:45 PM

Ford's eco boost engine (turbocharged) utilizes direct injection and a hi press fuel pump whose volume is controlled by controlling the volume of fuel allowed into the hi press pump. A fuel rail pressure sensor is supposed to send pressure info back to the PCM which controls the solenoid that controls the fuel going into the pump..
The P0088 code is indicating something in that chain of fuel control is not working correctly. This is a job for a pro with a quality scan tool to verify pressure and controls. Those pressures can go pretty high , thousands of psi and are not something for the inexperienced to work on.
Strongly suggest you have a competent shop or dealership service dept. check out.your vehicle.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Ford's eco boost engine (turbocharged) utilizes direct injection and a hi press fuel pump whose volume is controlled by controlling the volume of fuel allowed into the hi press pump. A fuel rail pressure sensor is supposed to send pressure info back to the PCM which controls the solenoid that controls the fuel going into the pump..
The P0088 code is indicating something in that chain of fuel control is not working correctly. This is a job for a pro with a quality scan tool to verify pressure and controls. Those pressures can go pretty high , thousands of psi and are not something for the inexperienced to work on.
Strongly suggest you have a competent shop or dealership service dept. check out.your vehicle.
Thanks for the insight! I ordered a new fuel pressure sensor based on a recommendation from a different forum. I haven’t replaced this before, but it seems fairly straightforward. In your opinion is it worth attempting to replace it or jump straight to the dealer?

I’m not a professional mechanic, but competent enough to handle simple jobs like spark plugs and brake pads.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:48 AM

I can understand trying to help yourself, but without knowing if the pressure sensor itself is defective and you buy one and it is not the cause of the problem. At least have some diagnostic work done so you have a better idea of what may be going on.That way you do the work once . What do you think?

A scan tool will provide the desired pressure rdg. and the actual press rdg. It will also be able to check the solenoid that controls the amount of fuel going into the hi press pump. The rule usually goes, "Test don't guess".