Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

95 Explorer with hot start intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Default 95 Explorer with hot start intermittent

OK, so after buying this damned truck, I have discovered that this 95 engine is the "bastard child" of Ford. Not like the 94 and older V6's which were more dependable with less electronics and not as well supported for diagnostics as the newer technology overhead cams with the ODBII diagnostics.

I keep getting a no-start problem when the engine is warm. It starts fine when cold, and most times when warm, but about once a day it will not start, but seems to mis-fire and stall after popping the plugs once or twice. If I am persistant enough it usually starts as if NOTHING was wrong. It is really rough cranking during this error condition also (probably mis-firing).

I have had Ford technicians blame the IAC, the MAF and the EGR systems.

I had a code 53 for TPS out of range hi, so I changed that, but considered it probably to be a secondary problem.

I checked and cleaned the EGR valve, as well as the EGR transducer/solenoid.

I have cleaned the IAC, and MAF and also replaced a fuel pump that died while still dealing with this no-start.

Latest code is a 214, cylinder identification failure. The only two sensors that I can think of that might cause this code are the crank position sensor and the cam position sensor. The crank is easy, and I have a part on order (should be here tomorrow). I have a new cam sensor in my garage, but one question, where is it located on the 4L pushrod motor? It is easy on the OHC motors as it is on the front of the block, but this is supposed to be located at the rear of the block (which is a *&% to access) in this truck. Can anybody help me with how to replace the cam sensor on this motor (pics would help).

Thanks

Old 01-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Default RE: 95 Explorer with hot start intermittent

Look to the rear of the engine it may be were the distributor use to be. Sometimes they use that to drive the oil pump and mount the cam sensor on that. Good luck