Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

96 Explorer ABS Problem

Old 05-16-2018, 06:20 PM
Default 96 Explorer ABS Problem

I’m a novice. While putting in new rotors I forgot to put in the bearings on the back side. This caused some kind of damage to my ABS modules because every time I brake the brakes grind like I’ve locked up on ice and the ABS light comes on. A friend who works on cars told me to go to a junk yard and replace modules on both sides but it still grinds. Any suggestions?

Old 05-20-2018, 04:32 PM

You gotta be leaving some stuff out or skipping everything you did. We all make some mistakes, just some of us more than others and some we catch before the real damage gets done. Can you provide the full story and steps you did?

Old 05-21-2018, 12:38 PM
Default Steps

I removed the front brakes, calipers, and rotors. When I put the rotors back on I neglected to put the bearings on the back of the rotors. After assembling the rest of the parts I drove the vehicle for about a mile and got a grinding sound. A couple days later I had the truck towed to my work where the maintenance guy (Mike) found the problem with the back bearings and some ring and he put them on. I drove the vehicle home the next day but noticed the ABS would kick in every time I braked and the ABS light would come on. I contacted Mike and he said the ABS modules were worn down and needed replacing. I went to a junkyard and got replacement modules (I couldn’t find new parts at any parts store nor online). I replaced the driver’s side first thinking the sound was coming from that side and I only needed to replace same. However a few days later I replaced the passenger’s side when the ABS continued to engage while braking. Even after replacing both modules the ABS still pumps the brakes when I brake although the ABS light no longer comes on. About the only othe weird thing is when I drove the vehicle with worn modules my clock on the radio would reset to midnight every time I braked.

In in addition I checked both fuses, the ABS diode and the fluid level is fine too.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:50 PM

Need to know if your explorer is 2 Wheel drive or 4 wheel drive.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:23 PM

2 Will Dr. V6 4.0 L engine

Old 05-22-2018, 03:44 AM

There is a good possibility the rotor hubs are ruined and possibly the spindles the rotors ride on. The inner bearings provide the support for the hub and seal and ABS wheel speed sensor. Depending on how much damage was done will determine how much will need to be replaced. Without actually being there to see the condition of the parts , need to rely on who ever is there . It is a 96, but this now is a safety issue because the entire front of the vehicle rides on those hubs and spindle assemblies.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:02 AM

So you’re saying I might have to replace the rotors, bearings, and seal again?

Old 05-22-2018, 02:44 PM

Here again , I'm here and the parts are there , guessing is out of the question !
Need to have a good look at the spindle where the seal and ABS wheel speed sensor ride. If they are damaged in any way, a whole new set of things appear. The person you had check it , if experienced, should know if any damage has to be repaired/replaced.
Try to picture this, with no support, the hub will press the top of the rotor against the caliper and pad when the wheel is placed on the ground. Now that hub is rubbing on the spindle and seal surface because there is no inner bearing to support it. Depending on what kind and how much damage was done will determine just what must be repaired/replaced.